Author Topic: FS9 Range trip and Review  (Read 8014 times)

PaddyG

• Hatchling
FS9 Range trip and Review
« on: May 27, 2015, 07:52:29 AM »
My son and I took his FS9 to the range the other day. It is an older slide markings gun. It was more of a meet and greet with the gun than a full on test. We just jumped in the truck and took off.

When we got to the range we discovered the range bag was almost empty. We had no tools and no oil. But we had ammo and our safety gear so it was all good.

We shot the gun dry, just like it came in the box. We shot 250-300 rounds of 115, 124 and 147 grain hand loads that I had loaded 10 years ago for competition. We shot five different brands of ammo. We also shot some sub-sonic ammo and a few Golden Sabers.

Accuracy was very respectable. The gun shot within 3-4 inches at 25 yards with anything we put in it. The best group was 1.5 inches at about 17 yards with CCI Blazer 9mm aluminum case. Pretty much the cheapest ammo we had with us, go figure.

Reliability was 100%. We had one FTFire on a round of my handloads. Postmortem on the round showed a dented primer. What I mean to say is I screwed up when I loaded that round and crushed the primer.  I don't think it would go off if you hit it with a hammer. Other than that we had no other issues with both of us shooting. We shot a lot of rounds, with no stoppage OF ANY KIND, it was a good day tater!

The gun is a blast to shoot. 9mm recoil out of a fullsized gun is there but it is not an issue. It is easily managed with the right grip, making for super fast second shots. The full sized grip allows for easy controlability without having to worry about where to put your pinky finger. The ergonomics are awesome. The gun is like a refined Glock. They corrected the Glock grip angle issue which has kept me from shooting a Glock. I have many thousands of rounds downrange in 1911 style guns and CZ clones. I have one 1911 alone that has over 10k rounds through it and my point is Glocks point wrong. They point high. I also own a Glock 19 so this is not book learning. Its a fact, John Browning hit the perfect grip angle, it was copied by nearly every gun manufacturer in the world, except Glock. Diamondback got this right.

The gun shot low and left. We borrowed a hex wrench from our shooting neighbor and drifted the rear sight. We ended up dead on and about 3-4" low at 25. With a little Kentucky windage we were making some good hits on clay pigeons at 35 yards.

There is a place in my life for a modern striker fired full sized hangun. In fact we now own 3 FS9s, two new and this older gen slide. The FS9 falls in a good spot. At 21.5 oz it is the lightest full sized service sized handgun made. The CZ P09 weighs 28.8 oz, and the M&P9 weighs 24 oz, for comparison. A steel 1911 weighs almost 40 oz and just holds 7 rounds. The FS9 has the longest sight radius in it's class at 6.5 inches and combined with the 4.75" barrel it makes good hits consistently. The CZ, Witness and M&P all have shorter barrels. The Smith is .2 tenths of an inch shorter in OAL slide length and the CZ is 3 tenths longer.

The street price at $300 may sound cheap, but it ain't. The gun only comes with one mag, so add another $25 per mag. Then if you want night sights which come standard on the M&P Pro and the CZ p-09 add another $100. Now, with two extra mags and night sights we are up to $450. Just about right for what you get.

The Diamondback FS9 is a great gun. Based on our experiences ergonomics, accuracy and functionality are all spot on. The gun fills a niche in my desire to own a modern striker fired, light weight full sized polymer service pistol, in 9mm (for low recoil and fast follow on shots) and high capacity mags. And it's made in U.S. of A.!

mr380acp

• Western Diamondback
  • NRA Life Member
Re: FS9 Range trip
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 06:06:03 PM »
Good to hear a positive review!

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
Re: FS9 Range trip
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 09:05:39 PM »
Yes, great review. I feel the same way about it. Excellent gun!  :main_victory_ncc:

Chartiers

• Hatchling
Re: FS9 Range trip and Review
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 08:30:39 PM »
I really like my FS9 and it has not had any problem with FTF, FTE or misfires. Shoots great, a little to the left and a little low but I have not adjusted the rear sight yet.  I hope it continues to work great as I've heard some horror stories about DiamondBack customer service and warranty repair, hopefully will not have to use them.

Mac762

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 03:48:54 PM »
Ran 190 FMJ rounds in 2 days through my DBFS9. Was using American Eagle and Remington UMC, and not have a single problem what so ever. I lubed it before the first day and cleaned it after the second day. It's a fine handgun and the price was right at Bud's at $265. Had to buy another mag so I paid out about $300 shipped. Lot's of firepower in a very light full size handgun.

M4GHOST45

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 07:20:10 PM »
+1 on these pistols.  I have been spreading the word as quickly as I can about them.  I absolutely LOVE the ergonomics.  It's like they took the best features of all the striker-fired plastic pistols, put them together and sold it for half the money.

No complaints at all out of mine.  Except for the mags I got from DB had the heaviest gauge springs I've ever seen and they were about 3 inches longer than stock springs.  I had to cut 5 coils off each one just to be able to load them.  Mags were marked ACT/Italy not Check-Mate.

PaddyG

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 07:46:39 PM »
The ones I just got were the same way. Impossible to load full.  I took the spring and follower out of a Pro-Mag Beretta 92 and fixed one mag. I used the original floor and base paste. The other I had to cut down the spring by about three -four inches.

The Checkmate mag that came with the gun was fine. It is of finer gauge spring wire.  My two new ones that wouldn't load were also ACT mags. I am going to call DB tomorrow and let them know they are shipping bum steers.

BFMCBeaner

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 12:39:10 PM »
I've owned mine for a year and a half now and prefer to shoot this to any of my 3 Glocks (G17, 19 & 26). I love this pistol as much as my CZ's.

In the time I've owned it I have roughly 1,500 rounds thru it and not once has it failed on me. I consistently feed it WWB 115gr or 124 gr NATO for range use and Hornady Critical Duty HP's. I relegate it for truck gun status since it wasn't too expensive. I want to pick up a few more if I can find them for the right price used.

EDWARD

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 03:24:59 PM »
I AM NOT REALLY USED TO SHOOTING A SEMI-AUTOMATIC, ALL MY ROUNDS WERE THROUGH A REVOLVER,LIKE A 38,357 MAG. AND 44 MAG. SO SHOOTING THESE ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FROM WHAT I AM USED TO SHOOTING. I CAN GET IT PRETTY MUCH DEAD ON AT 30 TO 35 FEET BUT QUALIFYING AT 25 YARDS IS GONNA BE A B...H FOR ME. LIKE YOU SAID IT SHOOTS LOW AND TO THE LEFT AND AS MY LUCK WOULD HAVE IT THE INSIDE OF THE HEX SCREW STRIPPED OUT TRYING TO LOOSEN IT TO "DRIFT " THE SIGHT.BUT WITH A HARD PIECE OF PLASTIC OR WHATEVER IT WAS WE TAPPED IT AND IT MOVED ( DIDN'T SCAR UP THE FINISH OR ANYTHING. NOW I HAVE TO GET THE DAMAGED SCREW OUT AND GET AN EMAIL ADDRESS TO DIAMONDBACK THAT WORKS TO GED A NEW HEX SCREW. ANY TIPS ON HOW I GET THIS THING HITTING IN THE RING AT 25 YARDS WOULD SAVE MY JOB ( DEPUTY SHERIFF ) EVEN IF IT IS PART-TIME. LOTS OF FOLKS OUT THERE THAT KNOW HOW TO SET THE SIGHTS AND HOW MUCH TO RAISE IT FOR THE "SHOOTING LOW " AND I WOULD VERY MUCH APPRECIATE THE HELP FOLKS,EDWARD esandlin817@att.net (desperate )

EDWARD

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 01:36:49 AM »
My son and I took his FS9 to the range the other day. It is an older slide markings gun. It was more of a meet and greet with the gun than a full on test. We just jumped in the truck and took off.

When we got to the range we discovered the range bag was almost empty. We had no tools and no oil. But we had ammo and our safety gear so it was all good.

We shot the gun dry, just like it came in the box. We shot 250-300 rounds of 115, 124 and 147 grain hand loads that I had loaded 10 years ago for competition. We shot five different brands of ammo. We also shot some sub-sonic ammo and a few Golden Sabers.

Accuracy was very respectable. The gun shot within 3-4 inches at 25 yards with anything we put in it. The best group was 1.5 inches at about 17 yards with CCI Blazer 9mm aluminum case. Pretty much the cheapest ammo we had with us, go figure.

Reliability was 100%. We had one FTFire on a round of my handloads. Postmortem on the round showed a dented primer. What I mean to say is I screwed up when I loaded that round and crushed the primer.  I don't think it would go off if you hit it with a hammer. Other than that we had no other issues with both of us shooting. We shot a lot of rounds, with no stoppage OF ANY KIND, it was a good day tater!

The gun is a blast to shoot. 9mm recoil out of a fullsized gun is there but it is not an issue. It is easily managed with the right grip, making for super fast second shots. The full sized grip allows for easy controlability without having to worry about where to put your pinky finger. The ergonomics are awesome. The gun is like a refined Glock. They corrected the Glock grip angle issue which has kept me from shooting a Glock. I have many thousands of rounds downrange in 1911 style guns and CZ clones. I have one 1911 alone that has over 10k rounds through it and my point is Glocks point wrong. They point high. I also own a Glock 19 so this is not book learning. Its a fact, John Browning hit the perfect grip angle, it was copied by nearly every gun manufacturer in the world, except Glock. Diamondback got this right.

The gun shot low and left. We borrowed a hex wrench from our shooting neighbor and drifted the rear sight. We ended up dead on and about 3-4" low at 25. With a little Kentucky windage we were making some good hits on clay pigeons at 35 yards.

There is a place in my life for a modern striker fired full sized hangun. In fact we now own 3 FS9s, two new and this older gen slide. The FS9 falls in a good spot. At 21.5 oz it is the lightest full sized service sized handgun made. The CZ P09 weighs 28.8 oz, and the M&P9 weighs 24 oz, for comparison. A steel 1911 weighs almost 40 oz and just holds 7 rounds. The FS9 has the longest sight radius in it's class at 6.5 inches and combined with the 4.75" barrel it makes good hits consistently. The CZ, Witness and M&P all have shorter barrels. The Smith is .2 tenths of an inch shorter in OAL slide length and the CZ is 3 tenths longer.

The street price at $300 may sound cheap, but it ain't. The gun only comes with one mag, so add another $25 per mag. Then if you want night sights which come standard on the M&P Pro and the CZ p-09 add another $100. Now, with two extra mags and night sights we are up to $450. Just about right for what you get.

The Diamondback FS9 is a great gun. Based on our experiences ergonomics, accuracy and functionality are all spot on. The gun fills a niche in my desire to own a modern striker fired, light weight full sized polymer service pistol, in 9mm (for low recoil and fast follow on shots) and high capacity mags. And it's made in U.S. of A.!
YOU MUST HAVE GOT ONE OF THOSE ON THE DAY EVERYTHING WAS GOING JUST RIGHT. HAVEN'T READ OR FOUND ANYTHING YET ON THE SIZE (lb)of the recoil spring. FOR COMPARISON MY S&W SD9 VE COMES WITH THE 17lb,REPLACED IT WITH 20lb AND IT TOOK A LOT OF THE "JUMP" OUT OF THE BARREL. JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE IS HAVING ISSUES LIKE I AM WITH FS9. THE BARREL IS ENTIRELY TOO LOOSE,THE SLIDE HAS TOO MUCH LOOSE ACTION ROCKING FROM SIDE TO SIDE,RECOIL GUIDE HEAD IS CUTTING INTO THE SLIDE ON THE BODY.STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOX I THINK THEY ALL SHOOT LOW AND TO THE LEFT. LEFT TO RIGHT ADJUSTMENT NOT MUCH OF A PROBLEM,TOO MUCH TRIGGER FINGER MAKES IT SHOOT LOW AND TO THE LEFT.BACK TO THE RECOIL SPRING ,SHOOTING WINCHESTER 124 GR. AND IT SLAMMED BACK SO HARD IT BROKE THE REAR SIGHT AND IT WENT OFF INTO THE WILD BLUE YONDER. CALLED DB NO PROBLEM THEY SENT ME ANOTHER SET OF REAR SIGHTS.AT 25 YDS. I REALLY HAVE TO TAKE MORE TIME THAN NECESSARY TO GET A GROUP OF 10 ROUNDS IN A 3" TO4''. I REALLY LIKE THE WAY IT FEELS IN MY HAND ,MORE THAN THE S&W OR THE GLOCK 9mm. HAVE PUT ABOUT400 ROUNDS OF WINCHESTER 115,124 GR.,AMERICAN EAGLE 124 WITH SAME RESULTS. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHICH VERSION I HAVE,UNDERSTAND THERE WERE 2. MINE HAS THE FS AND NINE SPELLED OUT ONE THE SLIDE AND IS ALL BLACK MATTE. WANT TO USE IT FOR SERVICE WEAPON BUT TOO MANY FTE,FTF. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD HELP OTHER THAN SENDING IT BACK TO DB.

Diamondback Firearms