Author Topic: Anybody shooting reloads through their DB9?  (Read 5105 times)

4given

• Red Diamond
  • Not Perfect, Just Forgiven
Anybody shooting reloads through their DB9?
« on: July 27, 2017, 09:45:55 AM »
Anybody shooting reloads through their DB9? I load a 124gr Xtreme plated bullet over 6.0 gr of AA #5  with a COAL of 1.10 for all my other 9mms.  According to the AA data, that is a standard pressure load just about halfway between the minimum and maximum listed charge weight.

I have not yet decided on whether or not to use this  load in the DB9.  Mine  just got shipped and should be at the FFL to pick up next week some time.

John 3:16-18

Stickfarm

• Red Diamond
Re: Anybody shooting reloads through their DB9?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 06:24:15 PM »
I only shoot reloads in mine.  I have 3, and they all have high round counts.  If you are going to shoot it a lot, do yourself and your DB9 a favor.  Get some 95 grain bullets, load light, and work up until it functions.  You can shoot these all day long and not harm the gun.  It's not really a range gun, and heavy, strong rounds, stress the little gun.  The light 95s don't seem to bother the guns.  Train/practice with light load and carry the heavy ones.  This is only my opinion, and your mileage may vary.  I use the LCD rounds when I carry, and they don't seem to bother the gun as well, and they are nasty.

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 06:58:41 PM »
I only shoot reloads in mine.  I have 3, and they all have high round counts.  If you are going to shoot it a lot, do yourself and your DB9 a favor.  Get some 95 grain bullets, load light, and work up until it functions.  You can shoot these all day long and not harm the gun.  It's not really a range gun, and heavy, strong rounds, stress the little gun.  The light 95s don't seem to bother the guns.  Train/practice with light load and carry the heavy ones.  This is only my opinion, and your mileage may vary.  I use the LCD rounds when I carry, and they don't seem to bother the gun as well, and they are nasty.

Perfect!  :main_thumbs_2up:  Use whatever works the best through your DB9.

4given

• Red Diamond
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 10:58:37 PM »
I have some 100 gr bullets that should work for a light load. What are LCD's?

bcottun

• Red Diamond
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 04:53:38 PM »
4given, I shoot mostly reloads, from 90 grain XTP's to 124 grain Xtreme plated RN and HP.  I load everything but the 90 grain xtps to 1.125" OAL.  The 90 grain xtps I load to 1.050" OAL.  I have been getting some light strikes lately, but changed the stricker pin and spring yesterday and will see if that resolves the issue.

Interestingly, I have not had a light strick on the factory ammo carry, which I changed from 124 grain Federal Hydra-shok to 124 grain Federal HST a few months back.

I do not shoot my DB9 a lot, as I subscribe to the DB9 ain't a range gun theory.  That said, I do like shooting the darn thing and will continue to put a clip or two through it every other week or so.

4given

• Red Diamond
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 05:26:46 PM »
I am jealous that you can run HST's through yours. It's an outstanding load. It's looking like I will be running Critical Defense for the near future, which is fine. It's an acceptable load and does what it was designed to do. I just don't see me spending too much more time and money right now just to get HST's to run well enough that I am comfortable. I'll tell you what, the Critical Defense 115gr are lights out accurate in my DB9. I can really hit with it and hits are what counts!

I have about 800 Berrys 100gr bullets I would like to load up for practice rounds. There is some load data in the Lyman 48th edition I can use to get started. I also have a about 1500
xtreme 124 gr plated flat nose and tier new jacketed RN to play with. I would like to keep them for my other 9mm pistols and use the 100 grainers in my DB9 and TCP 380.

Stickfarm

• Red Diamond
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 05:33:50 PM »
Liberty Civil Defense.  Light, fast, and easy on the gun.  Have taken many armadillo with them.  Incredible armadillo round, like shooting a water balloon.  I would not want to be hit by one.

4given

• Red Diamond
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 05:51:24 PM »
Shallow penetrator.

Stickfarm

• Red Diamond
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 08:00:02 PM »
I like them because of the low recoil and they don't add a lot of weight to my pocket.  Hold 7 of the 124s and 7 of these 50s; it's quite a difference.  I haven't shot any jello with them, but they destroy flesh and bone, I have done that.  They are 100% reliable in my db9s and extremely accurate; that's what I look for.  I have never had a failure and I have shot them for years now.  I use all sorts of rounds in different pistols and calibers, but for my pocket carry db9, I always come back to these.  For my 380s, I always use the Lehigh Defense extreme penetrators.  I don't think there is a perfect bullet, and most will get the job done, reliability, reliability, reliability, over everything.  These db9s can be finicky, if you find one that works, use it.

4given

• Red Diamond
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 08:38:42 PM »
To each his own. Use what works for ya! I like reliability, accuracy, Penetration and expansion in that order. I use the Underwood loading of the Lehigh xtreme penetrator in my 380 too.

Diamondback Firearms