Author Topic: Got 7 Rounds In A Row Down Range - Felt Like I Won The Lottery  (Read 31733 times)

Stickfarm

• Red Diamond
Finally got DB9 to shoot a full magazine with one in the pipe.  Being a new Diamondback owner, and reading and watching all the info on the net, I thought it just couldn't be that bad.  However, after 150 rounds, I new it was mostly true.  I have never seen so many different types of failures.  If I worked the gun slow or fast by hand, the gun worked flawlessly.  Pull the trigger; it choked.  So I did something to it.  It ran 6, then 7.  Same ammo as before.  I wanted to finally feel good about the little gun so I put it up.  Ill shoot some more in a couple days, and if my strategy has worked I'll post it.

HankG

• Western Diamondback
Re: Got 7 Rounds In A Row Down Range - Felt Like I Won The Lottery
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 06:11:58 PM »
What kind of ammunition are you shooting ?

Stickfarm

• Red Diamond
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 06:28:14 PM »
115 Remington UMC, 115 Fiocchi FMJ, 115 Winchester FMJ.  Most were the Remingtons, but the gun seems to hate them all fairly equally. 

Stickfarm

• Red Diamond
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 06:35:33 PM »
What do you recommend ?

HankG

• Western Diamondback
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 07:51:00 PM »
I don't own a 9mm...own two .380s. Carry Hornady xtp ZOMBIE KILLERS (EXTREME TERMINAL PERFORMANCE)  and reload Hornady xtps for practice. If I did own that 9mm, I would look for some 115 grain Hornady Critical Defense hollow points or a 115 grain Hornady cartridge that has an xtp bullet sticking out of the end of it. Hornady seems to make a shorter round, both in .380 caliber and 9mm, than many of it's competitors, and the shorter rounds seem to work better in the short, quick action of these little pistols....Just my opinion based on getting the DB .380 to function and also work up a hand load that works.

http://www.hornady.com/store/9mm-Luger-115-gr-Critical-Defense/

If you look real close at the tip of the bullet, you'll see the side of a polymer plug that is supposed to aid in penetration. The .380 version is sold as a Zombie Killer. If you look up the picture of the 9mm 115 grain xtp, you will see there is no plug. Haven't seen any zombies to try them out on but they seem to function well in the pistol.

makarovnik

• Sidewinder
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 12:16:10 AM »
+1 on the shorter rounds especially if the hollowpoint does not have sharp edges on the outside.

I've also had some luck with Remington Ultimate Defense for compact handguns. Supposed to work better in short barrel guns and the cavity is larger but the edges around the rim seem more rounded (less sharp) than other hollowpoints.

Not sure how well they expand in flesh though. Larger cavities are sometimes susceptible to getting clogged with clothing but Remington says they are designed to work well thru heavy clothing. Hope that pistol starts working well for you.

mr380acp

• Western Diamondback
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 06:46:43 PM »
Yes, avoid jagged edged hollowpoints, Hornady critical defense works well as does Winchester white box.

Stickfarm

• Red Diamond
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 01:05:59 PM »
Much better today.  Not sure exactly why.  I believe the magazine is a major player in the problem.  Three factors: 1) new ammo arrived, all 124 grain instead of 115, 2) new magazine arrived, 3) I have been storing the gun with the slide blocked open for 4 days.  I had no failures with the new magazine, the gun had a few failures with the original magazine but nothing like before.  I fired 50 Aguila 124 grain FMJ and 25 Hornady 124 grain XTP HP.  I'm thinking the magazine spring upgrade may have some merit.  Anybody done the spring upgrade with significant improvement?

Stickfarm

• Red Diamond
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 03:41:40 PM »
She is dead at 200 rounds.  Floppy trigger, guide rod protruding out from frame, not able to remove slide. 

Marty8613

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 03:46:30 PM »

She is dead at 200 rounds.  Floppy trigger, guide rod protruding out from frame, not able to remove slide.

My wife's did the exact same thing. 

I don't have the patience to call and check status either.

mr380acp

• Western Diamondback
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 04:38:42 PM »
I think you have to be able to pull the trigger first before you can remove the slide......where do you go from here if the trigger is broken?

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 06:15:06 PM »
Remove the backplate and pull the striker out.

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 06:29:29 PM »
Speaking of removing the plastic plate, I think it would be a great idea if DB would add an access hole in the cover plate to where you can use a flat punch to push on the spacer sleeve to relieve the pressure and slide out the plate. Duh! I suppose you could easily make your own, but since you can't buy a spare, well, you know. Tnx for that, DB.

Bubba

• Sidewinder
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 07:57:47 PM »
You can reach in through the rear of the slide with a small stiff wire with a 90° hook and pull the sear rearward to get the slide off.

Pull the slide back far enough to get most of the striker spring tension off the sear, then pull the sear far enough back that the striker will override the sear then let the slide go forward.

Stickfarm

• Red Diamond
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 09:39:12 PM »
Thanks for the advice Chris and Bubba.  Sounds like you guys may have had your DBs awhile.  I'm sure I will get there because I'm little hard-headed and I need a hobby.  For now I'm going to get in the line with the masses and send it back.  I hate it though, this little gun is great fun, very accurate, easy to hide, and I had just got it to shoot 14 times in a row (new record).  Maybe a good tackle box gun but I would never carry it.  Just for everyone's info, I called customer service twice today, waited 10 minutes first time and 2 minutes second time.  They were very helpful both times, courteous, and I thought it was pretty good. 

Diamondback Firearms