Author Topic: Not on the "Edge"  (Read 2074 times)

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
Not on the "Edge"
« on: August 09, 2015, 09:53:41 PM »
Ahh, Windows 10 is here. But before installing it, I was prepared to clean up the mess and reinstall Windows 7 and let the rest of the 'beta' testers have at it. What a let down...I actually like it a lot! It got rid of the hacked up mess of Windows 8/8.1 and reacts very much like a 'fine tuned' Win 7 machine. The install didn't skip a beat and existing software transferred over without issue.

There are new features, so feature freaks won't be disappointed. Your screen looks very much the same with a few exceptions, but the guts tell more of the story. I like what they did, but I haven't used it long enough to rate. I think people are going to like it. Except for....  (yeah, you knew it, right.)

...The new browser, Microsoft Edge. I'm a Chrome user, so wasn't really affected, but the new Edge does not support extensions (add-ons) at this time. That killed it for me. I'm a long time LastPass user and it can't be used. For now, anyway, so sticking with Chrome for now. Microsoft claims by year's end. I can say one thing about Edge. It's 'holy crap' fast! They stripped out all the legacy junk, and made it lean and mean. Just can't use it is my problem! LOL.

:main_thumbs_2up:

bcottun

• Red Diamond
Re: Not on the "Edge"
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 08:53:18 AM »
Chris, last week I installed W10 on my desktop and one of my laptops and was underwhelmed.  The installs went just fine so no pain there but not all my installed apps showed up in the "all apps" menu so I had to hunt them down and make some desktop short cuts.

My old Epson perfection 1260 scanner was not detected by W10 as the drivers were written by Fred Flintstone but I was able to find another app which worked with the 1260 so all is joy-joy hardware wise.

Edge is IE with a different look as far as I can tell.  No faster, no nothing better.  One feature I do not like, but can do nothing about, is updates are automatic.  You can delay them for a short period, but they will be pushed to your computer eventually.  Bill Gates has succeeded in turning personal computers into subscription services like the utilities.  If you want to use MS apps, you will send Bill a check every month.

W10 and the MS Office suite sends a huge amount of personal data to Microsoft.  Most everything you do in an MS app, especially MS360 based, is recorded and sent to MS.  There is no content privacy unless you turn off some snoop features that MS turns on by default.  My harddrive activity light blinks a LOT more than it did before M10, even after I turned off all the snoop features I could find.

All in all, W10 is no big deal customer wise, but I'm guessing that MS is getting enough "big data" to make giving W10 away well worth it.  If you are happy with W7 or W8 I see no reason to jump onboard with W10 until MS forces you to make the switch in a year or so.

Best, Bill

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
Re: Not on the "Edge"
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 04:38:26 PM »
Oh great, I have more to look forward to.... I started to mention in my first post that I had trouble with Office 2007, but my wife's upgrade went smoothly, so thought I wouldn't upset the apple cart. Turns out my 2007 install had a couple corrupt files and I couldn't reinstall it or even uninstall it via the control panel. I went into safe mode ad deleted all instances of office and attacked the registry the same way. Also ran an Office cleaner/remover app and pretty sure all of it is gone. Maybe. They do tend to hide things where you wouldn't expect! I figure for as little as I use Office, I would just install Open Office instead since it's not as bloated.

I like the new start menu. I feel so organized! A compacted W8 arrangement on the start menu? That must be the ticket. :main_shades_smile:

[ Invalid Attachment ]

I suppose I have to admit that compared to earlier versions of Windows, er, Microsoft's MS-DOS 1.28 or PC DOS 2.0, things have come a long way. Boy, talk about Bill Gates landing a sneaky deal to acquire QDOS for $50k.

So yeah, I already ran across the privacy functions and turned off what I could. I'm sure people won't be very happy about their new 'defaults', but a little configuration and they're back to normal. Maybe. I saw a speed improvement with Edge over IE11, but perhaps that's just my "perceived recoil" since I use it very little. I'm sure there will be lots and lots of Youtubers benchmarking the various browsers.

W10 is no Windows ME, but it'll do. LOL.    :main_victory_ncc: 

Galloway Precision

Diamondback Firearms

Diamondback Firearms