Author Topic: Tulammo and wolf ammo  (Read 9110 times)

Chango

• Hatchling
Tulammo and wolf ammo
« on: December 02, 2016, 11:33:53 AM »
Just wanted to know how this ammo works in the DB-15! or should I run brass only?

mr380acp

• Western Diamondback
  • NRA Life Member
Re: Tulammo and wolf ammo
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 04:28:14 PM »
I won't run any of that ammo in my pistols. ...

Chango

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 09:31:10 PM »
Thank you for your response! Im also getting mixed reviews some folks who say they "will never use it " and some say "1000s of rounds no issues" is there Anyone who had a bad experience in a AR with it?

mr380acp

• Western Diamondback
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 07:53:45 AM »
Yw. I probably should add that I shoot mostly small carry pistols which can be finicky. I have found that Winchester white box works the best for me.

Darkpriest667

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 08:38:28 PM »
My DB15CCB has gone through Federal premium brass AND steel cased TULAMMO with no problem. I've put 100+ rounds of TULAMMO down range without a single failure.

Darkpriest667

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 06:43:15 PM »
Another 130 rounds down range of TULAMMO today and 0 failures.. I think it is safe to say this ammo works fine

Ramsqb5

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 02:44:16 AM »
All i shoot through both my db15 and db15 pistol is WOLF steel. I've shot around 1500 total rounds without a single failure.
The only thing I've noticed is that my gas key on the ar pistol Is operating with two rings now. I am not sure when I lost one so have to buy a ring :)

mr380acp

• Western Diamondback
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 07:14:29 AM »
There are some ranges near me that won't allow use of steel case ammo

lonestarlizard

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 01:11:45 PM »
Just wanted to know how this ammo works in the DB-15! or should I run brass only?

All steel cased ammo that I have used (Wolf, TULA, Monarch, MFS) has functioned without issue in my rifles. That being said, the steel case isn't really the main issue, it is the bimetal bullet that concerns some of us. Most of the Russian and other steel cased ammo makers use a soft steel jacket gilded with a thin copper coating. The barrel lands will go through the copper layer and into the steel jacket. So, you have steel on steel at high velocity. A few hundred rounds of this most likely won't damage your barrel but thousands of rounds will definitely decrease your barrel life faster than shooting good quality, true copper clad bullets. Take a look at the excellent Lucky Gunner video on this:

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

Darkpriest667

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 07:42:03 PM »
All steel cased ammo that I have used (Wolf, TULA, Monarch, MFS) has functioned without issue in my rifles. That being said, the steel case isn't really the main issue, it is the bimetal bullet that concerns some of us. Most of the Russian and other steel cased ammo makers use a soft steel jacket gilded with a thin copper coating. The barrel lands will go through the copper layer and into the steel jacket. So, you have steel on steel at high velocity. A few hundred rounds of this most likely won't damage your barrel but thousands of rounds will definitely decrease your barrel life faster than shooting good quality, true copper clad bullets. Take a look at the excellent Lucky Gunner video on this:

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

The Tula weapon had a failure and i honestly believe it was a faulty weapon and not the ammo. I've fired 2000 rounds through mine (since January) and it shows none of the wear they have on their barrels and gas chambers.

Most people are NEVER going to fire 10k through their AR..

lonestarlizard

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 12:17:55 PM »
Indeed, some ARs are different than others. I still find the loss of accuracy in the ARs firing bimetal bullets convincing. The result that the AR using Federal copper clad bullets was still accurate at 10K rounds is proof. Both Wolf and Brown Bear barrels needed replacement around 5K rounds.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

That being said, AR barrels are relatively inexpensive at present so the trade off is just this: shoot cheap bimetal bullet ammo and replace the barrel with the money saved by not buying brass cased copper clad bullet ammo.

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 08:05:28 AM »
When I first sighted in my AR 7.62x39 at 50 meters, using Silver Bear bi-metal ammo, these were the results. Trijicon 1-4x Accupower scope, ARP barrel & bolt, and Wilson Combat TTU trigger.

Circle measures 1.5"

[ Invalid Attachment ]

IMG_20170205_150127.jpgTulammo and wolf ammo
* IMG_20170205_150127.jpg (49.19 kB . 700x667 - viewed 3569 times)

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 08:14:01 AM »
BTW, SGAmmo carries TulAmmo 8M3. 124 GR HP. Berdan primed. The 8M3 is a fragmenting bullet. This video is worth viewing.

lonestarlizard

• Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 11:30:35 AM »
When I first sighted in my AR 7.62x39 at 50 meters, using Silver Bear bi-metal ammo, these were the results. Trijicon 1-4x Accupower scope, ARP barrel & bolt, and Wilson Combat TTU trigger.

Circle measures 1.5"

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Not a bad group. Not national match but none of us expect that from Russian ammo. As long as our barrels hold up it is a cheap(er) way to shoot.

Glocksrfugly

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2018, 12:17:52 PM »
I love the Wolf Gold (brass case) it shoots great in both my DB15 and my Saiga 5.56.
Plus Its only $6.50 a box at my local Ventura Munitions store.

Diamondback Firearms