Author Topic: New db380 owner  (Read 869 times)

Mpdc88

• Hatchling
New db380 owner
« on: January 26, 2017, 09:57:36 PM »
I was hoping you guys could help me with some information...

I picked up 2 on the gen 1 db380s a couple months back on a good sale. I ended up sending them back under warranty for the typical gen 1 issues. They just notified me today that they are sending me new replacements that are ZK models. I haven't been able to find any information on the ZK model online. Does anyone know anything about them or have knowledge they could share?

Thanks in advance for the help

mr380acp

• Western Diamondback
  • NRA Life Member
Re: New db380 owner
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 04:52:11 PM »
I'm thinking ZK might be the letter prefix in the serial number. At any rate the more important issue would be if they are gen 2 pistols. Gen 2 pistols will have the three screw trigger assembly which is much improved over two screw assembly on the Gen 1

Mpdc88

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 09:48:52 PM »
Yes ZK is the prefix on the serial number and they are gen 2. From what I have found the prefix is changed every time they make a modification to the gun so that they can easily tell the difference between batches. I'm hoping they finally fixed the feeding issues in the factory.

mr380acp

• Western Diamondback
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 07:24:00 AM »
A couple of things I have discovered with these pistols. They seem to work best with factory ball ammo. Don't use +p ammo as they aren't rated for the pressure. A firm hand hold is important, its easy to cause ftf issues by"limp wristing " Good luck with your new pistols and keep posting!

Mpdc88

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 12:11:48 AM »
Thanks for the help, I definitely appreciate it. I primarily purchased these as carry guns so I'm hoping to get away from Fmj ammo after the break in. Have you found any defensive ammo that feeds reliably?

mr380acp

• Western Diamondback
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 06:39:16 AM »
I use Winchester white box in mine, I don't use self defense ammo in it anymore. The only ftf I ever had in it was with a Winchester silvertip hollowpoint

Terminatorret

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 07:17:13 PM »
It seems DB customer service still remains equal or above to the best in the business! Years ago, I sent my ZAxxxx in for problems and they replaced immediately it with a ZExxxx. Did the DB380 have early problems? Yes. Has the company done everything in their power to make things right? You bet.
My ZE has been fault-free (I use only FMJ). I've never fired a gen-2, but the ZE gen-1 functions perfectly for me. I'm not sure how the company made a profit those first several years, but they were honest and sincere in their dealings. "The customer is always right." seems to be their watchword and I applaud them.
I have a plethora of fine, big name revolvers and pistols, but they could all take a lesson from Diamondback when it comes to standing behind their product.
I trust my DB380 completely.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
Davy Crockett
Hero of the Alamo

Mpdc88

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 09:41:04 PM »
I can say that I was a little nervous about their customer service reviews before I purchased the 2. It ended up being such a good deal that I couldn't pass it up and now I'm really glad I didn't. They paid for the 2 day shipping to return them and kept me updated while they had possession. They even took care of contacting my FFL to get a copy of his license. The only downfall I could find is that they took 2 weeks longer than their estimated time frame. This was all over their time recovering from a hurricane and enduring the Black Friday/Christmas rush though so it's hardly anything you can fault them on.

I'm very curious to see how the newer ones run with defensive ammo. The gen 1's were an epic train wreck to say the least. I ordered some Wolff mag springs to retrofit the extras mags I have so we'll see how it goes.

I should make it back home in about two weeks to pick them up so I'll give everyone an update.

Mpdc88

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 04:56:33 PM »
I was able to pick up both of the replacement db380's today. It looks like the biggest change in the new version is a complete modification to the feed ramp. They widened it quite a bit and rounded the whole surface. Both of them came with a nice polish as well. I hand cycled about 50 rounds before going to the range at variable speeds from slowly letting the slide go forward to just pulling it all the way back and letting it go. All of the rounds hand cycled just fine and none failed to feed or extract.

I put 250 rounds through each one consisting of steel fmj, brass fmj, reload brass fmj, and 2 different kinds of defensive loads. They were hornady american gunner with XTP bullets and a box of PDX1's. Before i sent them back for repair/replacement, the PDX1 rounds were what gave me the most trouble. They would bury into the base of the feed ramp and jam the slide on every attempt i made to rack one.

After 500 rounds the only issue i had was 6 failures to fire. 4 were from the cheap steel ammo and 2 were from the factory reloads. They all fired on the second time though. Cycling through 3 different mags they ate everything i threw at them without one round failing to load or eject. I was really surprised there wasn't a single issue cycling.

I think that a combination of the wolff mag springs and new feed ramp design may be the right ticket for a reliable pocket gun.

JerryG

• Retired Boeing Engineer
  • Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 06:52:18 AM »
I use Liberty Civil Defense hollow point ammo for my DB380.  They work flawlessly.  Check out the ballistic performance video on their website.  Very impressive.

jmccas

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 06:36:25 PM »
I use Liberty Civil Defense hollow point ammo for my DB380.  They work flawlessly.  Check out the ballistic performance video on their website.  Very impressive.
I'm new to the forum and researching adding the DB380 to my carry rotation. I really like Liberty ammo but I've read that you should never use +p ammo in the DB380. Still no issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr380acp

• Western Diamondback
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 07:31:10 PM »
My slide cracked after about 500 rounds. I was using +p , I don't use any more. ..

jmccas

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 10:41:57 PM »
My slide cracked after about 500 rounds. I was using +p , I don't use any more. ..
Yeah if I pick up a DB380 def no +p for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mpdc88

• Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 11:21:46 PM »
I'm not sure how the old manuals were but the one I have specifically stated not to use +p ammo

Notable Sites

Pocket Guns And Gear USA Made 7.62x39 Firearms

Sale/Auctions

Gunbroker Guns America Arms List Gun Auction Top Gun Auctions

Diamondback Store

Upper Receivers Rifle Accessories Handgun Accessories Misc Accessories Apparel Barrels Magazines Main