Author Topic: Pearce Grip extension  (Read 437 times)

thehoghunter

• Hatchling
Pearce Grip extension
« on: February 18, 2017, 02:52:15 PM »
(Note: after all the testing, the changes were to buy Kel-Tec 380 mags, Pearce Grip extensions, and Wolff springs.  This got rid of all the FTFs.  Once I filed down the Pearce Grip extensions, they worked great.)

Really hated the small (useless) finger extension on the DB380 mags.  Pretty sure any one with big hands would find it even less useless.  I was wishing I could find one like on my Ruger LC9s, which would be perfect (for me).

So, I took apart one of my Ruger mags and looked at what I could do to improve the DB380.

First problem, the follower plate (I believe that is what it is called) would not work since DB puts the round peg towards the back, where Ruger puts it directly in the middle.

Second issue - 9mm mag is a bit bigger than the 380 mag ... so I went searching for an extension for a 380 Ruger.  Found 2 brands - Ruger and Pearce Grip.

Bought a 2 pack on EBay from bravotec for $14.95: Pearce Grip PG-LCP 2pk Ruger LCP Magazine Floorplate Extension - Item ID: 321962874723 

[ Invalid Attachment ]

I used a large file to take off just a bit of the new grip extension (if you don't, it blocks the mag from locking into the pistol).  I used the follower plate (part that goes on the spring at the bottom of the mag) from 2 of my Ruger 9mm mags.  Probably would have been better to find some from a 380 as I had to 'modify' them to make them fit.

I really like that I can now hold the weapon very securely.  Hopefully this will also help with FTFs I've been getting.

SAM_2954 (Small).JPGPearce Grip extensionSAM_2958 (Small).JPGPearce Grip extension

thehoghunter

• Hatchling
Re: Pearce Grip extension
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 04:54:13 PM »
Some more pics with info - fyi - I found 2 packs of the Pearce Grip extensions for around $12 on ebay, so search before you buy.

[ Invalid Attachment ] SAM_2961 (Small).JPGPearce Grip extensionSAM_2965 (Small).JPGPearce Grip extension
SAM_2966 (Small).JPGPearce Grip extensionSAM_2967 (Small).JPGPearce Grip extension

thehoghunter

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 10:20:32 AM »
I ordered some KelTec 380 6 round mags and these Pearce grip extensions fit on with no changes to any of the parts.  The KelTec mags have the locking stub in the middle of the plate.

(I haven't had a chance to get to the range with them...possible that there would be a need to file down the top of the grip extension due to it being too tight and causing the mag to drop while firing).

mr380acp

• Western Diamondback
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 06:11:41 AM »
Nice work,  hope it runs ok for you

maxblockm

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 03:00:05 AM »
Anybody know if the Pearce grips fit db9?

thehoghunter

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 12:31:32 PM »
After about 200 rounds of trial and error, I finally have 4 of the Kel-Tec mags working great (with Pearce Grip extensions and Wolff springs). I did have one DB mag that I didn't have a Wolff spring for...so I brought it to the range this week.  And wow, failure to feed like crazy, in both DB380s for the original mag and NO FTFs for the modified Kel-Tecs with Wolff springs.

Can finally carry this with confidence.

Maxblockm - sorry, I don't have access to a DB9, so I can't say what might fit/work.  Pearce doesn't make a extension for the DB9 or DB380.  They make one for a Ruger LCP which is what I used.

Notable Sites

Pocket Guns And Gear USA Made 7.62x39 Firearms

Sale/Auctions

Gunbroker Guns America Arms List Gun Auction Top Gun Auctions

Diamondback Store

Upper Receivers Rifle Accessories Handgun Accessories Misc Accessories Apparel Barrels Magazines Main