Author Topic: Diamondback DB15CCB Rifle Journal  (Read 8209 times)

odeTOmaybe2

• Pygmy Rattler
Re: Diamondback DB15CCB Rifle Journal
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2019, 10:18:52 AM »
Man... it's tough to find 50gr ballistic tip rounds out there anymore. I thought there were a bunch, but the pickin's seem slim now. I put in an order for some Fiocchi Extrema 223 50gr V-Max ammo to see what it does in my DB15CCB. It seems to be highly recommended by folks online. I found it for $20 per 50 but shipping is $10, so if my sample works, then I may have to order bulk and stockpile a bit. I'm sick of having to change loads :main_idiot2_ncc:

www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/fiocchi-extrema-223-remington-v-max-50-grain-50-rounds?a=938945

I will report back on how it does at the range, next time I can get out there.

Let us know what you find out.  Btw, I always check Academy for ammo, because they have free shipping over $25.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/fiocchi-extrema-v-max-22-remington-50-grain-centerfire-rifle-ammunition#repChildCatid=3100633

Looks like they are selling it for $24, which might save you a few dollars.

superbeau

• Sidewinder
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2019, 11:37:41 AM »
Btw, I always check Academy for ammo, because they have free shipping over $25. Looks like they are selling it for $24, which might save you a few dollars.
Good tip, thanks! Sadly they will not ship ammo to the "great" state of Illinois, so that's not an option for me :-(

odeTOmaybe2

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2019, 10:22:00 AM »
Good tip, thanks! Sadly they will not ship ammo to the "great" state of Illinois, so that's not an option for me :-(

Yikes, I'm your next door neighbor in Indiana and they will ship to me all day long  :main_wink:

pecospuppy

• Red Diamond
  • Old Cowboy
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2019, 07:15:06 PM »
What do you like about the 50 grain bullet?  55 seems light enough for me.  62 grain is good too.  77 grain I like but haven't tried it for extended ranges so I don't know if it will stabilize out of a 16 inch 1:8 twist barrel. 

Tell me why you like 50 grain.

I've been shooting this stuff.  Cheaper than most and so far no issues.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102080187/winchester-usa-ammunition-556x45mm-nato-55-grain-full-metal-jacket-value-pack?utm_source=hot-buy&utm_medium=email&utm_content=main-image-link&utm_campaign=winchester-556

superbeau

• Sidewinder
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2019, 10:44:28 AM »
What do you like about the 50 grain bullet?
When I bought this gun my goals were to get the cheapest AR shooting the cheapest factory ammo that would perform well on coyotes and other varmints. The only exception to my rule was on the glass; I ended up with the Nikon M-223 4-16x Nikoplex scope. Their Nikoplex reticle is calibrated with turrets markings to set POI for 100, 150, 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600 yards, assuming that you use 223 ammo with 55 grain ballistic tips firing at 3,240 FPS. The only trouble is that they are using longer 20-22" barrels when they're calibrating the settings, and the velocities are not as high out of a 16" barrel. What I found was that by dropping to a 50-grain ballistic tip bullet the rated velocities were higher, and then when they too come out a little slower than rated from my shorter barrel, they are at the correct speed for the Nikoplex. Anyways, in addition to that experimentation, I like to use fur-friendly loads and a 50-grain V-Max does the trick on a coyote without any trouble and usually doesn't come out the other side, depending on where you hit them. When I first bought this gun I seem to remember a number of options where manufacturers were loading (or reloading) 50-grain ballistic tip bullets, but several of those have dropped off the market in the last two years. Thus my recent searches for new ammo to replace my past favorites.

superbeau

• Sidewinder
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2019, 11:00:05 AM »
I don't know if it will stabilize out of a 16 inch 1:8 twist barrel.
This is an interesting point with DB. They show (and have for years) that their DB15 rifles have a 1:8 RH twist. I'm pretty sure I asked their customer support folks about this last year and they came back saying that it's actually a 1:9 RH twist. Maybe they've changed their specs, or maybe they just refuse to update their website accordingly, but something to keep in mind for those looking to shoot heavier bullets.

odeTOmaybe2

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2019, 02:29:17 PM »
This is an interesting point with DB. They show (and have for years) that their DB15 rifles have a 1:8 RH twist. I'm pretty sure I asked their customer support folks about this last year and they came back saying that it's actually a 1:9 RH twist. Maybe they've changed their specs, or maybe they just refuse to update their website accordingly, but something to keep in mind for those looking to shoot heavier bullets.

Same here, I have the DB15CB, which states on every website (Including Diamondback's) as having a 1:8" Twist.  But when I got it home, I noticed my barrel is stamped with 1:9".  I also asked DB about this and was told that the stamping was correct.  I was actually pretty disappointed about this, because I wanted to have the versatility of the 1:8".  But, I have been happy with DB as a whole and I really only shoot 55gr & 62gr, and I haven't had stability issues with either one.

Diamondback Firearms

Diamondback Firearms