Author Topic: Diamondback DB15CCB Rifle Journal  (Read 10410 times)

odeTOmaybe2

• Pygmy Rattler
Re: Diamondback DB15CCB Rifle Journal
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2019, 10:18:52 AM »
Man... it's tough to find 50gr ballistic tip rounds out there anymore. I thought there were a bunch, but the pickin's seem slim now. I put in an order for some Fiocchi Extrema 223 50gr V-Max ammo to see what it does in my DB15CCB. It seems to be highly recommended by folks online. I found it for $20 per 50 but shipping is $10, so if my sample works, then I may have to order bulk and stockpile a bit. I'm sick of having to change loads :main_idiot2_ncc:

www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/fiocchi-extrema-223-remington-v-max-50-grain-50-rounds?a=938945

I will report back on how it does at the range, next time I can get out there.

Let us know what you find out.  Btw, I always check Academy for ammo, because they have free shipping over $25.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/fiocchi-extrema-v-max-22-remington-50-grain-centerfire-rifle-ammunition#repChildCatid=3100633

Looks like they are selling it for $24, which might save you a few dollars.

superbeau

• Red Diamond
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2019, 11:37:41 AM »
Btw, I always check Academy for ammo, because they have free shipping over $25. Looks like they are selling it for $24, which might save you a few dollars.
Good tip, thanks! Sadly they will not ship ammo to the "great" state of Illinois, so that's not an option for me :-(

odeTOmaybe2

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2019, 10:22:00 AM »
Good tip, thanks! Sadly they will not ship ammo to the "great" state of Illinois, so that's not an option for me :-(

Yikes, I'm your next door neighbor in Indiana and they will ship to me all day long  :main_wink:

pecospuppy

• Red Diamond
  • Old Cowboy
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2019, 07:15:06 PM »
What do you like about the 50 grain bullet?  55 seems light enough for me.  62 grain is good too.  77 grain I like but haven't tried it for extended ranges so I don't know if it will stabilize out of a 16 inch 1:8 twist barrel. 

Tell me why you like 50 grain.

I've been shooting this stuff.  Cheaper than most and so far no issues.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102080187/winchester-usa-ammunition-556x45mm-nato-55-grain-full-metal-jacket-value-pack?utm_source=hot-buy&utm_medium=email&utm_content=main-image-link&utm_campaign=winchester-556

superbeau

• Red Diamond
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2019, 10:44:28 AM »
What do you like about the 50 grain bullet?
When I bought this gun my goals were to get the cheapest AR shooting the cheapest factory ammo that would perform well on coyotes and other varmints. The only exception to my rule was on the glass; I ended up with the Nikon M-223 4-16x Nikoplex scope. Their Nikoplex reticle is calibrated with turrets markings to set POI for 100, 150, 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600 yards, assuming that you use 223 ammo with 55 grain ballistic tips firing at 3,240 FPS. The only trouble is that they are using longer 20-22" barrels when they're calibrating the settings, and the velocities are not as high out of a 16" barrel. What I found was that by dropping to a 50-grain ballistic tip bullet the rated velocities were higher, and then when they too come out a little slower than rated from my shorter barrel, they are at the correct speed for the Nikoplex. Anyways, in addition to that experimentation, I like to use fur-friendly loads and a 50-grain V-Max does the trick on a coyote without any trouble and usually doesn't come out the other side, depending on where you hit them. When I first bought this gun I seem to remember a number of options where manufacturers were loading (or reloading) 50-grain ballistic tip bullets, but several of those have dropped off the market in the last two years. Thus my recent searches for new ammo to replace my past favorites.

superbeau

• Red Diamond
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2019, 11:00:05 AM »
I don't know if it will stabilize out of a 16 inch 1:8 twist barrel.
This is an interesting point with DB. They show (and have for years) that their DB15 rifles have a 1:8 RH twist. I'm pretty sure I asked their customer support folks about this last year and they came back saying that it's actually a 1:9 RH twist. Maybe they've changed their specs, or maybe they just refuse to update their website accordingly, but something to keep in mind for those looking to shoot heavier bullets.

odeTOmaybe2

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2019, 02:29:17 PM »
This is an interesting point with DB. They show (and have for years) that their DB15 rifles have a 1:8 RH twist. I'm pretty sure I asked their customer support folks about this last year and they came back saying that it's actually a 1:9 RH twist. Maybe they've changed their specs, or maybe they just refuse to update their website accordingly, but something to keep in mind for those looking to shoot heavier bullets.

Same here, I have the DB15CB, which states on every website (Including Diamondback's) as having a 1:8" Twist.  But when I got it home, I noticed my barrel is stamped with 1:9".  I also asked DB about this and was told that the stamping was correct.  I was actually pretty disappointed about this, because I wanted to have the versatility of the 1:8".  But, I have been happy with DB as a whole and I really only shoot 55gr & 62gr, and I haven't had stability issues with either one.

superbeau

• Red Diamond
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2019, 07:54:20 PM »
Finally had a good day at the range, after the flood waters subsided here in Northern Illinois. I felt like I had an exceptionally solid rest this time around and there were only light winds in the 5-8mph zone, so a good day to do some more head-to-head ammo testing. This is the list of what I shot:

* Remington Accutip-V 50gr
 * Ultramax Vmax 50gr (discontinued)
 * Hornady Varmint Express 55gr
 * American Eagle Tipped Varmint 50gr (discontinued)
 * American Gunner 55gr (JHP - just for fun)
 * Fiocchi Extrema 50gr

I just put stickers on a big piece of paper and shot at 100 yards for these, so all of the groupings are in the same image. I shot 5 of each ammo that I had with me, although I only had 3 rounds of the Remington Accuptip-V 50gr stuff left. Here's how it shook out...

Frankly, at 100 yards, it's tough to tell the difference between these as this list includes the ammo that I've liked best with my DB15CCB so far. The little boxes printed on the paper are 1" squares, so most of these are within 1 MOA. This is the first time I've shot the Fiocchi stuff and I was really happy with the results; I think it arguable did the best of these options. I also thought it was funny to see the Remington stuff climbing like you can see, where the first shot was 3" low and the second was 2" low and the third was 1" low. I've seen this before (see previous post) with their ammo so it must be more susceptible to the slightly warmer barrel, although I was shooting one at a time with decent time between shots for the barrel to slightly cool.

I think I'm going to officially switch my go-to varmint / coyote ammo to the Fiocchi Extrema 50 grain ballistic tip with boat-tail. Next I'm going to play around with the exact location of the dampener on the barrel to see if I can tune these groupings any tighter. More to come on that soon, as long as the weather plays along!

pecospuppy

• Red Diamond
  • Old Cowboy
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2019, 08:13:16 PM »
Do you prefer 50g?  If so why?

I'm thinking I like a slightly heavier round than the 55g.  I have some 62g and 75g coming in to test against 55g and see how much drop I get.  I'm thinking as long as I stay above 2200 FPS heavier is better.  What do you know that I don't?

superbeau

• Red Diamond
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2019, 10:05:34 PM »
What do you know that I don't?
Nothing magical about 50gr for performance, more of an equipment choice for me. Take a look at a couple of the recent posts on this thread; the details are there to answer your question. I've only shot up to 62gr with this gun and they were good enough to kill hogs. Otherwise I haven't played around north of 55gr, so I'll be interested in your results!

pecospuppy

• Red Diamond
  • Old Cowboy
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2019, 10:29:35 PM »
...Take a look at a couple of the recent posts on this thread; the details are there to answer your question. ...
Yeah, I remember you saying the lighter faster 50g loads match your glass, but you also say you can still shoot hogs.  I'd think coyotes would about be the limit.  Some states won't even let a 556 shoot hogs no matter what the bullet weight.  .30 is the limit.  You have to go 300 blackout in those states or 7.62. 

I don't use mine to hunt yet, but hogs are a little out of a 50g bullets effectiveness I would think.  They'll run off and bleed to death.  That is why I am looking into 62g.  I think 77g goes below 2200 FPS in a 16 inch barrel so I'm looking for the right load between 55g and 77g.

superbeau

• Red Diamond
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2019, 11:52:19 PM »
Some states won't even let a 556 shoot hogs no matter what the bullet weight.
I sighted my scope in for 62gr loads on the hog trip. Only need to be good for 50-100 yards. Check out the first page of this thread. Hit them just behind the ear and they drop like a stone, no blood trailing required. Have been hearing of wounded hogs with larger but slower bullets. Coyotes though, I want to be good out to 400 yards. 50 grains is plenty, even at that range.

duffy

• Hatchling
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2019, 06:30:10 PM »
I've only used two different weight bullets so far (55 gn factory FMJ's and 40 gn Vmax that I reload). I think the 40 grain Vmax is more accurate at 100 yards than the 55 gn FMJ's. My DB15 has a 1 in 8 twist with a 16" barrel. I have yet to try any of the 55 FMJ's in my Howa 1500 to see it they work differently in a long barrel with a 1 in 14 twist.

Any thoughts?

superbeau

• Red Diamond
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2019, 11:47:41 AM »
My DB15 has a 1 in 8 twist with a 16" barrel.
Have you verified that with the markings on the barrel? Scroll up to posts #50 and 51 in this thread. Diamondback shows 1:8 on their website but their customer support and the markings on the barrels both confirm 1:9 twist. I don't think it matters for 55gr and may even be a little better for 40-50gr but 1:9 might be an issue for 65gr+ bullets. I wish they would update their website; it is misleading for a lot of people and some folks may be upset if they plan on shooting heavier bullets.

duffy

• Hatchling
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2019, 06:05:35 PM »
Stamped right on the top of the barrel just back of the flash suppressor.....says "5.56 NATO   1 in 8 RH twist". Stamped on the right side of the mag well says "Multi Cal".

Galloway Precision

Diamondback Firearms

Diamondback Firearms