Author Topic: Linking to other members in posts  (Read 273 times)

superbeau

• Sidewinder
Linking to other members in posts
« on: March 02, 2017, 10:40:17 AM »
Thanks for opening up this category! I know this is a volunteer-based forum, so it's nice that you allow us to make some suggestions on further tweaking and improving the site.

I think it would be great if we could "tag" other members into our posts by using a new feature button, or maybe the @ symbol (e.g. @superbeau), like most social media sites do nowadays. It would make it easier for replying to a specific person in some of the longer threads, or if you wanted to get a specific member's opinion in a discussion. Just a thought, although not sure how easy or difficult it would be to add this functionality.

Turtle2113

• Hatchling
Re: Linking to other members in posts
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 08:26:01 AM »
100% agree. It would also be nice to have more detailed/ less broad sub categories
This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.
DB15EFDE (1st time AR owner)
DNT STEP ON SNEK

admin

• Administrator
  • Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 07:15:29 PM »
Thanks for opening up this category! I know this is a volunteer-based forum, so it's nice that you allow us to make some suggestions on further tweaking and improving the site.

I think it would be great if we could "tag" other members into our posts by using a new feature button, or maybe the @ symbol (e.g. @superbeau), like most social media sites do nowadays. It would make it easier for replying to a specific person in some of the longer threads, or if you wanted to get a specific member's opinion in a discussion. Just a thought, although not sure how easy or difficult it would be to add this functionality.

There is an SMF mod that "Allows members to tag others via @<username>, shows up under Profile and members can set to be notified via e-mail. Adds a new permission enabling membergroups to be granted permission to mention others. Supports active suggestions while mentioning in posts as well as quick reply."

That didn't quite sound like what you're looking for, but let me know.

more... I assume that when you post something like "what do you think @Admin," I'll get a notification of the topic or reply.

https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3860

admin

• Administrator
  • Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 07:18:46 PM »
100% agree. It would also be nice to have more detailed/ less broad sub categories

Give me an example to see it it makes sense. Smaller forums don't lend themselves very well to too specific of categories or boards, where participation is low and could cause other boards to suffer. In other words, too hard to find answers to your questions. Just throwing this out there for thought.  :main_smile:

Turtle2113

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 12:05:53 AM »
Good point