Author Topic: What's the best ammo for a DB15 rifle?  (Read 300 times)

superbeau

• Sidewinder
What's the best ammo for a DB15 rifle?
« on: March 04, 2017, 01:18:25 PM »
Has anybody done any testing / comparison of ammo performance from the DB15s? I know these rifles will cycle most types of ammo, but I'm curious which have the best accuracy.

Rusty56

• Hatchling
Re: What's the best ammo for a DB15 rifle?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 12:55:57 PM »
I've done some....any fmj bullet accuracy is what it is....I did most of my testing on 55gr bullets....Nosler and Hornady vmax were the best..

superbeau

• Sidewinder
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 12:19:18 PM »
Good to know, thanks @Rusty56! I did a little testing as well over this past weekend. The Winchester 55-grain Varmint-X did really well for me, but still need to test it at 200 yards. I posted a bunch of photos and info, if you're curious...

http://www.diamondbackforum.com/index.php?topic=4180.msg9296#msg9296

The Remington AccuTip 50-grain stuff worked pretty well, too, but it's like $30 per box around here, so I'll probably stick with the Winchesters at <$20 per box :-)

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 05:39:09 PM »
Unless I'm tweaked to go into competition, I'll stick with the average stuff for fun at the range.  I happen to like the PMC Xtac 55 GR offering, but everyone's opinion differs. The 62 grain and 77 grain stuff if pretty awesome, but whether it's worth the extra $$$ is a matter to be discussed.

superbeau

• Sidewinder
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 05:55:50 PM »
That's good to know, @Chris! Thanks for the heads up on PMC X-Tac; I'll have to give that a try. I agree that the FMJ stuff is a lot easier on the ol' wallet, and a blast to shoot up at the range. When I go hunting, though, I don't mind spending a little extra to make sure the job gets done. That said, if I can save $10 per box and still get the fur, count me in for that :main_shades_smile:

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 06:05:41 PM »
Yep, I agree. Hunting or special occasions calls for the best for accuracy and ballistics. Pllnking at the range or in the field doesn't matter much in the scheme of things. If you want to dedicate your rifle as a plinker and hunter, then get the best ammo available. If the pricey 77 grain ammo makes your rifle that much more accurate, then go for it since you're never going to shoot that much ammo thru it. Maybe? LOL

superbeau

• Sidewinder
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 12:08:33 PM »
Has anybody tried Federal's American Eagle "Tipped Varmint" 50-grain 223 ammo? Apparently it's ~$10 per box and they use Hornady's V-Max boat-tail bullets. From what I've been reading online, a LOT of people really like this stuff in their ARs, especially for coyotes. I might pick up a box and give it a shot, but was curious if anybody had already tried it in their DB15. If it shoots as well as the Remington AccuTip 50gr boat tails I tested, and it's one-third the cost, I'll make that switch in a heartbeat!

https://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/866/866317.jpg

SavsPaw

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 02:46:06 PM »
I'm buying some this weekend. Just went on sale at local Atwood's.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170323/47ccabba7e21d8da4104cd4610ec611f.jpg

superbeau

• Sidewinder
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 04:27:57 PM »
Sweet! Just FYI - I think that might be their FMJ stuff. Still a great price, though. I wish we had those stores in the Chicago area :)

SavsPaw

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 06:15:43 PM »
Sweet! Just FYI - I think that might be their FMJ stuff. Still a great price, though. I wish we had those stores in the Chicago area :)
Yeah...I realized after I posted. Mine hasn't even been sighted in yet.Lol!! Maybe this weekend. I just put a Magpul handstop on this afternoon and I'm liking it.

superbeau

• Sidewinder
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 12:00:46 AM »
The more I read about this American Eagle "Tipped Varmint" stuff the more I'm really excited to try it out. If you read 50 reviews, 49 of them are raving about accuracy and precision in just about every type of rifle out there. This one from Palmetto State Armory even specifically mentioned a DB rifle:

It seems this is not a well-kept secret, though, as it's fairly tough to find the ammo anywhere online that doesn't show the dreaded "Out of Stock" sticker. I did find some at Bass Pro Shops, albeit for a few more dollars ($12/box) so I ordered them and will pick up later this week. Hopefully the weather will cooperate so I can hit the range. As long as it shoots like everybody says, I may have to put in a bulk order shortly after that!

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 07:45:34 AM »
Superbeau, you got me all inspired to try some of this but I can't find any in stock anywhere. I'll keep looking.  :main_thumbs_2up:

superbeau

• Sidewinder
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 02:20:41 PM »
Maybe try using Ammo Seek. If you input "223 Remington" for the caliber and "ae223gtv" for the keyword, it should return a bunch of results. The nice thing is you can sort by price/round, although you have to factor shipping costs in as well. Anyways, some options if local retailers are out of stock.

superbeau

• Sidewinder
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 12:57:55 AM »
I finally was able to put some of that American Eagle AR223 Tipped Varmint ammo down range today. Despite some trigger issues, it performed very well. I'll say it's a close 2nd to the Remington AccuTip 50-grain stuff, but it's literally one-third the cost. I posted more info on Post #25 in my Journal thread if you want to read the details.

Notable Sites

Pocket Guns And Gear USA Made 7.62x39 Firearms

Sale/Auctions

Gunbroker Guns America Arms List Gun Auction Top Gun Auctions

Diamondback Store

Upper Receivers Rifle Accessories Handgun Accessories Misc Accessories Apparel Barrels Magazines Main