Author Topic: FS9-Trouble in paradise  (Read 1006 times)

Explorer3J

• Sidewinder
FS9-Trouble in paradise
« on: May 08, 2017, 01:31:36 AM »
Well...after a year of great service my FS9 has suffered a major issue.

I have posted before how much I like my FS9 and I still do. I hope the lifetime warranty lives up to it's promise.

Wife and I went to the range today shooting my usual 115gr. Perfecta 9mm ammo and .22LR in our handguns...DBFS9, Sig Mosquito, M&P22C and M&P22 Fullsize.

First magazine, Second round the slide locks back in the rearward position and jams. The tab that holds the recoil spring broke. The recoil spring assembly went sailing downrange. :main_cry:

I'm hoping it's just a matter of getting a new slide. I contacted DB. We'll see what happens.
I hope it's soon as my FS9 is my EDC gun.
DBFS9 Slide pics

http://i.imgur.com/l1KX08J.jpg
FS9-Trouble in paradise

http://i.imgur.com/fIrBnQf.jpg
FS9-Trouble in paradise

http://i.imgur.com/poEPoFx.jpg
FS9-Trouble in paradise

Handguns: DB9FS, S&W M&P22C, Sig Sauer Mosquito,
S&W M&P22 Full Size 12rnd.
Shotgun: Rock Island Armory M5 12 Ga
Rifles: Mossberg 715T .22, Savage Mdl 64FXP .22

Explorer3J

• Sidewinder
Re: FS9-Trouble in paradise
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 10:30:07 PM »
Customer service has been excellent. :main_thumbs_2up:

I sent a email on Sun. evening, 5/7.
Received a reply Mon. 5/8. Received a return shipping label/shipped out same day.
Shipped UPS 2 day and is already in Florida on 5/9.

will post updates............ :main_thumbup_ncc:

Explorer3J

• Sidewinder
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 06:04:21 PM »
Repair received 5.10.17

Please allow up to 4 – 6 weeks to complete and return your repair.

Hope it goes by fast.....Have to carry my M&P22 till I get my 9mm back    :main_sweating:

Explorer3J

• Sidewinder
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 12:15:53 AM »
5/25/17.......still waiting......... :main_sweating:

Explorer3J

• Sidewinder
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 10:11:43 AM »
6/12/17... :main_sweating: :main_sweating:   still waiting

Explorer3J

• Sidewinder
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 09:54:20 AM »
6/20/17.................. :main_whistling: :main_azn:...waiting

mr380acp

• Western Diamondback
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 04:53:00 PM »
My slide cracked on my db380 and the turn around time was really quick. I would call them and ask for an update

Explorer3J

• Sidewinder
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 08:40:52 PM »
I've been in contact with them. They have been very responsive to my emails.
It's been about 5 weeks since they received the gun.
The response I got today 6/20:

"The repair is almost complete on your firearm.  The slide is broke and we are waiting for a replacement slide from our CNC department.

Once we receive the slide and test fire, we will process the shipment and e-mail the tracking information.

Thanks so much.  Have a great day!"

so..I sit and wait.................

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 08:43:37 PM »
Looks like it's time to pick up a pocket DB9 as a backup. Some folks have had trouble with those as well, but that's mostly in days gone by. I trust mine, my son trusts his, Cody proved his 2,000 round DB9 non stop test, and Venus forced itself to align with Mars on his results.

My FS9 was trouble-free, but that doesn't mean there can't be issues with others. It's man-made and it's mechanical, and it lives at the mercy of smelting technology, blends, and the resulting bar stock for milling. One little screw up from metering devices or gauges and nasty results could happen. Those on the receiving end of those "issues" are understandably intolerant as it's their hard earned money that paid for a mysterious and unpredictable defect.

I personally believe DB's CS has vastly improved, but customer patience is a tough nut to crack. I know. I own as SIG with "issues" forcing a recall with results that continues to piss most everyone off. Are they quick to respond? Hell no! People are left hanging to dry while SIG concentrates on their military contracts. Us regular Joe's are a meaningless supplement to line their pockets with whatever they can muster up on the non-military side.

It doesn't take much Googling to figure out that every manufacturer is or has been fraught with issues. It happens. It's how it's resolved that makes or breaks the reputation of manufacturers and suppliers. It's a crazy game they play. Sometimes great, sometimes WTF! I'm just glad I'm not on the receiving end.  :main_whistling: :main_omg_smile:

Explorer3J

• Sidewinder
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 12:44:29 AM »
To be perfectly honest I am looking at a Taurus PT111 G2 as a temporary carry gun.
If something doesn't happen soon I'll be off to the LGS. I can always pass it to my wife as a 9mm CCW for her.

DB

• Sidewinder
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 09:12:25 AM »
your FS9 shouldn't be much longer.

Explorer3J

• Sidewinder
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 01:20:12 AM »
:main_undecided_ncc: :main_undecided_ncc:

Explorer3J

• Sidewinder
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 10:27:29 PM »

Been almost 6 weeks since they received my gun for repair, 5/10/17 - 6/22/17.

They offered a stainless slide but I want the black finish on my gray frame.......

Their message 6/22/17:
"At this time, we do not have any black slides available.  They are being produced now but it is going to be at least a few weeks until we receive them.   We do have passivated stainless steel slides available now.  Would you like us to upgrade your slide to a SS slide?"

A few weeks??!!
How is the stainless steel slide an "upgrade"?
A "bare" stainless steel slide isn't even offered on any model of the FS9 series. To me I feel the slide offered, as an upgrade, is not a completely finished part.

In all fairness...

I have just found a listing at Sportsmans Warehouse for a Black/Stainless Steel FS9:
MPN: DB9FSS
It IS a finished part.

the also have a FDE model now.

I'm trying very hard to be patient because Diamondback is a smaller firearms manufacturer.
We are going to be at a stage where we are talking in months for what seems like a simple slide replacement.........

I do love the feel and function of the gun but it's getting hard to keep upbeat.

...on the hunt right now for another 9mm.

Don_Don

• Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 01:53:50 PM »
Stainless slide is an upgrade for sure.  I say hop on it since they are offering it.  In the meantime gl on ur new gun search. 

Explorer3J

• Sidewinder
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 10:12:17 PM »
Stainless slide is an upgrade for sure.  I say hop on it since they are offering it.  In the meantime gl on ur new gun search.

All the slides are made of stainless steel.

SS is passivated. The black slide has a PX5 black oxide finish.

I believe ALL the slides are passivated then the black oxide is applied for a final finished product.
This is why I don't feel a "bare" slide is an upgrade. It is a halfway finished part.

They don't even offer a two tone FS9 for sale. Just Ghost Grey and Black. Both with a black slide.

In all fairness...

I have just found a listing at Sportsmans Warehouse for a Black/Stainless Steel FS9:
MPN: DB9FSS
It IS a finished part.

Only pic I could find Black/Stainless

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/30207/26277034_1.jpg?v=8D421155484C620

the also have a FDE model now.