Author Topic: DB380 Carry Ammo  (Read 147 times)

kyoten3

• Hatchling
DB380 Carry Ammo
« on: June 03, 2017, 05:56:35 AM »
Hey all just bought a new DB380 yesterday, took it out today and ran 150 rounds of fmj thru it with no issues at all, using independence ammo. I loaded it up with some Winchester hollow points and it didnt feed them well at all. They were the only JHP ammo I had on hand and considering how pricey ammo is I wanted to know if there is any JHP ammo that consistently works well in the db380. I started to buy the critical defense for it, but already had the box of Winchester as my wife carries a LCP. Thanks all and btw the db380 is awesome. I like it much more then my wifes LCP.

http://i68.tinypic.com/25fhu09.jpg
DB380 Carry Ammo

mr380acp

• Western Diamondback
  • NRA Life Member
Re: DB380 Carry Ammo
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 07:11:12 AM »
I use factory ball for carry. There are some videos on you tube comparing 380 ball vs hollowpoints. I think ball is the way to go.

Terminatorret

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 09:27:35 PM »
I concur 100% with carrying ball ammo for SD.
#1:  Reliability (Looks like you have already discovered this!)
#2.  Penetration

You might read this discussion by Erich:
http://smith-wessonforum.com/ammo/98508-380-load-calling-erich.html
This reasoning is why I carry ball exclusively in my .380's and 9x18 Makarov's. 

Enjoy the DB380...it's my pick of the mouse guns, too.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
Davy Crockett
Hero of the Alamo

kyoten3

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 03:35:10 AM »
Well I wouldn't say unreliable, considering I have seen several videos of people running Hornady Critical Defense and I assume that those would run fine in it, just that no one sells them in my area (yes that is a thing here, they have them in 9mm and up but not 380) thats why I ended up with the Winchester, mind you these are White Box JHP's not premium Pdx1's or anything. The ones available to me are,
Winchester Train and Defend BJHP
Federal HST
Federal Hydra-Shok
Pmc Starfire (videos of these show they suck)
Independence JHP's
Gold Dots
Ruger Arx Polycase (non jhp, weird phillips screwdriver head looking ammo)
Cor-bon Dpx
Cor-bon +p JHP (I know +p 380 doesnt exist and I wont shoot these for fear of exploding my hand/face)

Thats about all that is sold around here, past that I have to order from the internet and the shipping is murder, costs as much as the ammo and I cant order bulk right now, dont have the money to make it worth it. If anyone has any experience with any of those in a Db380 please let me know, I know guns are unique and it may not work but if its worked in several different db380s before then odds are more in my favor.

Side note its currently loaded with Remington UMC 380 95gr ball ammo, I also have some frangible 380 ammo as well, which would be better to run for now, stick with the regular fmj or go with the others

Ohhh one other I forgot to mention is the Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator/Defender, those are available around here, any thoughts on those, will they feed in the Db380. From testing it looks like a good round, no hollow point to fail, gets good penetration and does more damage then a standard ball round.

mr380acp

• Western Diamondback
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 08:25:27 AM »
I would not use any +p or anything over standard pressure as the db380 is not rated for those

kyoten3

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 02:02:48 AM »
LGS got in some Hornady Critical Defense in 380 so I bought a box of them today, they run fine in it so guess I found my load.

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 06:01:51 AM »
I'm a Federal HST fan, but for the .380 a solid flat nose would be my choice.  :main_smiley:

Notable Sites

Pocket Guns And Gear USA Made 7.62x39 Firearms

Sale/Auctions

Gunbroker Guns America Arms List Gun Auction Top Gun Auctions

Diamondback Store

Upper Receivers Rifle Accessories Handgun Accessories Misc Accessories Apparel Barrels Magazines Main