Author Topic: Someone talk me into a DB9  (Read 4676 times)

odeTOmaybe2

• Pygmy Rattler
Someone talk me into a DB9
« on: November 30, 2017, 11:38:06 AM »
So, I have been looking at getting another carry gun.  For the last few years, I have carried the Ruger LCP.  I love it during the summer because I can just throw it in my front pocket and be ready to go.  However, during the winter, I do not like the idea of the 380 round having to possible penetrate multiple layers of clothes (if I ever was in a bad situation).  I am also a baby when it comes to carrying and something like my Glock 23 is just too bulky for me to carry.  I really like the 40 round, but options are limited in a smaller single stack.  Maybe the Kahr CM40 or the Taurus 740 slim would get the job done. 

Saying all of that, I want to support Diamondback because of how happy I am with my ARs and how awesome their customer service has been.  Can somebody talk me into the DB9?  I can get one for $185 after rebate at the moment, which is crazy cheap.. I also don't want to have to send it back to get it worked on and don't want something that is not reliable..  Thanks everyone

5 iron

• Sidewinder
Re: Someone talk me into a DB9
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 11:46:34 AM »
Most of the other single stack 9mm guns are too big for pocket carry. The DB9 is very pocket friendly, both in size and weight.

SteveQinKC

• 4 Time Diamondback Owner
  • Sidewinder
  • My EDC and Reliable Ammo
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 01:41:20 PM »
Sounds like you've already talked yourself into it as you can keep all the pros of the LCP in terms of size and weight, step up to 9mm 115-124gr rounds, for very little money, knowing you can always get that much back out of it if you dont like it, and that IF you have any problems its backed with lifetime warranty with great customer service you have already experienced first hand. 

I watched this gun from pretty much the beginning (Gen1), as I used to carry a Keltec PF9 and understood that the lighter the gun, the more you would carry it, but wasn't willing to step below a 9mm round. 

The early reliability issues kept me from taking the plunge until after they released the second generation, I watched the youtube video tour of their mfg plant, and waited for the Gen 2 to prove itself.  After 7 or 8 years of waiting for them to get it right, it wasn't until last year when I picked mine up for just under $200 from Lanbos. 

As it earned my trust at the range, it became my EDC, even though I have a LC9s with tritium sights and laser, because the DB9 in a Borai holster fits in the back pocket of my Levis in winter, and 11ozs is a lot better than 17+ozs banging against my leg in Cargo shorts all summer.

Using 115gr FMJ ammo, I haven't had any issues with reliability.  The only exception is the first time I tried to hand cycle the first round of a full mag of hollow points, the jagged edge of the Fed Classic JHPs snagged on the bottom edge of the brand new feed ramp and jammed, pretty stubbornly I might add, especially without a slide lock. Once I got it out of there, the rest of that mag ran without a hitch.  Instead of panicking or doing a fluff and buff, I just ran another 10 mags of FMJs through it on that first range trip and haven't had an issue again since break in.  I've also been able to successfully fire the DB9 one handed without jamming, something that was only successful about one out of ten times with my PF9, so I would say the DB9 is less susceptible to limp wristing FTEs.

Just DO IT
Diamondback DB9 Gen3, DB9 Gen4, 7.5" lightweight AR Pistol using a Diamondback DB15P Upper/BCG and New Frontier Poly Lower, Diamondback DB15SB Carbine

odeTOmaybe2

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 02:10:08 PM »
Sounds like you've already talked yourself into it as you can keep all the pros of the LCP in terms of size and weight, step up to 9mm 115-124gr rounds, for very little money, knowing you can always get that much back out of it if you dont like it, and that IF you have any problems its backed with lifetime warranty with great customer service you have already experienced first hand. 

I watched this gun from pretty much the beginning (Gen1), as I used to carry a Keltec PF9 and understood that the lighter the gun, the more you would carry it, but wasn't willing to step below a 9mm round. 

The early reliability issues kept me from taking the plunge until after they released the second generation, I watched the youtube video tour of their mfg plant, and waited for the Gen 2 to prove itself.  After 7 or 8 years of waiting for them to get it right, it wasn't until last year when I picked mine up for just under $200 from Lanbos. 

As it earned my trust at the range, it became my EDC, even though I have a LC9s with tritium sights and laser, because the DB9 in a Borai holster fits in the back pocket of my Levis in winter, and 11ozs is a lot better than 17+ozs banging against my leg in Cargo shorts all summer.

Using 115gr FMJ ammo, I haven't had any issues with reliability.  The only exception is the first time I tried to hand cycle the first round of a full mag of hollow points, the jagged edge of the Fed Classic JHPs snagged on the bottom edge of the brand new feed ramp and jammed, pretty stubbornly I might add, especially without a slide lock. Once I got it out of there, the rest of that mag ran without a hitch.  Instead of panicking or doing a fluff and buff, I just ran another 10 mags of FMJs through it on that first range trip and haven't had an issue again since break in.  I've also been able to successfully fire the DB9 one handed without jamming, something that was only successful about one out of ten times with my PF9, so I would say the DB9 is less susceptible to limp wristing FTEs.

Just DO IT

Thanks so much for the response.  This is what I was hoping to get out of the post, someone that has confidence in it.  Not having a slide lock isnt something that excites me too much, but if you are carrying it- a slide lock is the least of your concerns.  What brands of ammo have you had success with?

bcottun

• Red Diamond
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 10:57:43 AM »
odeTOmaybe2, I won't try to talk you into buying a DB9 but I will share some of my experience with the DB9 over the past three years.

If you want 100% reliability, get a dog, not a pistol.  The DB9 can break, as can all other guns.  Please take a step back before buying a DB9 and think about the fact that you are considering the smallest 9mm pistol on the planet for less than two hundred bucks and you want it to be 100% reliable. 

The Kimber Micro 9 is a marvel to behold and costs $600.  Bond just released their BullPup 9mm which is a tad bit larger and a heck of a lot heavier than the DB9 and they want over a grand for the gun.  The excellent Glock 43 is also close to the DB9 size and it goes for almost twice what the DB9 does. 

But none of those guns are as concealable as is the DB9 and I believe there is a good reason for that.  Most any gunmaker can make a micro nine, but Bobby Fleckinger is the only gun maker in the world willing to take the significant risk of making the smallest 9mm pistol in the world.  Sure, the 1st gen guns had more issues, but while in this form factor and weight improvements can be made, the gun will never be 100% reliable.  That said, neither are the Kimber, Bond or Glock counterparts.

I have had to send my DB9 back twice.  It was fixed once and replaced once.  I bitched and moaned, but I also got to know Cody and other fine DB employees.  I learned more about semi-auto pistols because of my DB9 issues than I did in the previous 30 years of owning Colt, Beretta, S&W and Star semis.

Everyone of us who carries a DB9 is making a compromise between concealability and reliability.   Today I carry my DB9 with a high degree of confidence, that said, I would rather carry my Colt Commander, but oh yeah, it is so damn big it won't fit my front pocket.  I would rather carry my Beretta 92FS but...you get the picture.

As I have said, before, the DB9 is not my first choice for concealed carry.  I do not recommend that you buy a DB9, but if you are looking for front pocket carry, I will say that the DB9 was my choice.

Best regards, Bill

odeTOmaybe2

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 12:25:24 PM »
Thanks a ton for your input Bill.  I really like your reasoning on the DB9 as a carry weapon.  I am not one to have unrealistic expectations on any firearm, especially one that is in the $200 range.  I am just happy to see that there are people that carry the DB9 with confidence.  I am not a gun snob, nor ever will be.  One of my favorite guns I own is an SD40VE (wish Diamondback would make a full sized 40). 

Don't be surprised to see a DB9 in my collection soon  :main_thumbup_ncc: 

4given

• Red Diamond
  • Not Perfect, Just Forgiven
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 04:37:40 PM »
I love mine and pocket carry it just about everyday in a Sticky Holster.  I did a fluff & buff and then shot a bunch of odds & ends ammo I had laying around to break it in. I had mixed results.

Then I tried some of the factory recommended ammo and had great results:

I have fired 50 rounds of Blazer brass 115 gr FMJ with ZERO malfunctions. 100% reliability so far.

I have fired 118 Hornady critical defense 115 grain with two malfunctions.   Statistically, that is a 1.69% failure rate.

I have fired  135 rounds of Remington UMC 115 grain JHP with one malfunction.  Statistically that is a .74%  failure rate.

The three malfuntions I had were stove pipe jams due to  limp wristing that were easily cleared. I keep it stoked with the Critical Defense and am very confident in this litte pistol. It is a joy to carry.
John 3:16-18

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 08:07:54 PM »
Rohrbaugh made a 380 and a 9mm. Both very small, and both were $1200 msrp. I had the 9mm version. They eventually sold out to Remington, which modified the 380 slightly and is now sold as the RM380. They haven't produced the 9mm yet, and may not.

Anyway, given that bit of history, Rohrbaugh used to insist that their firearms should be "fired a little and carried a lot." And it was an all metal gun that weighed in at 15oz vs the DB9 at 12.8oz. They also recommended changing the recoil spring at 200 rounds to continue to cycle properly. In summary, DB took on the challenge to produced their tiny DB9 at the bleeding edge of "OMG!," and made it work. Some early pains, as you'd expect, but they figured it out, so I have every confidence in my DB9 for carry. I rotate between it, the G43, and the Ruger LC9s Pro, although I gave up on the LC9s Pro due to a serious malfunction that I believe can happen again at any given moment.

When I need "tiny" the DB9 is with me. My son feels the same about his as well.

:main_thumbs_2up:

jedevnull

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 05:00:33 PM »
Great thread.  I'm carrying a Taurus TCP .380 and am considering moving to 9mm next year.

4given

• Red Diamond
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 12:00:15 PM »
Rohrbaugh made a 380 and a 9mm. Both very small, and both were $1200 msrp. I had the 9mm version. They eventually sold out to Remington, which modified the 380 slightly and is now sold as the RM380. They haven't produced the 9mm yet, and may not.

Anyway, given that bit of history, Rohrbaugh used to insist that their firearms should be "fired a little and carried a lot." And it was an all metal gun that weighed in at 15oz vs the DB9 at 12.8oz. They also recommended changing the recoil spring at 200 rounds to continue to cycle properly. In summary, DB took on the challenge to produced their tiny DB9 at the bleeding edge of "OMG!," and made it work. Some early pains, as you'd expect, but they figured it out, so I have every confidence in my DB9 for carry. I rotate between it, the G43, and the Ruger LC9s Pro, although I gave up on the LC9s Pro due to a serious malfunction that I believe can happen again at any given moment.

When I need "tiny" the DB9 is with me. My son feels the same about his as well.

:main_thumbs_2up:

I have had great results with my Ruger LC9S Pro.  I have not had any malfunctions at all even with my reloads. You must have got a bad one. I would send it in.

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 01:40:30 PM »
I have had great results with my Ruger LC9S Pro.  I have not had any malfunctions at all even with my reloads. You must have got a bad one. I would send it in.

The LC9s captured spring/guide rod came apart while shooting. The end plates that capture the spring are merely staked in place, and it didn't hold. It took quite some time and tricks to get it apart on my bench. Ruger replaced the guide rod assembly immediately, but upon further inspection, the end plate staking job looks questionable to me. It may never come apart again, but I don't trust it. I'm hoping BT Guide Rods decides to produce their system for the LC9S (I requested), but I haven't seen anything yet.

Until that incident, I really enjoyed shooting it. Great trigger, and low recoil.

4given

• Red Diamond
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 03:43:16 PM »
The LC9s captured spring/guide rod came apart while shooting. The end plates that capture the spring are merely staked in place, and it didn't hold. It took quite some time and tricks to get it apart on my bench. Ruger replaced the guide rod assembly immediately, but upon further inspection, the end plate staking job looks questionable to me. It may never come apart again, but I don't trust it. I'm hoping BT Guide Rods decides to produce their system for the LC9S (I requested), but I haven't seen anything yet.

Until that incident, I really enjoyed shooting it. Great trigger, and low recoil.

Have you looked at these? https://gallowayprecision.com/ruger/lc9s/captured-sure-feed-guide-rod-assembly-for-Ruger-lc9s/

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 04:31:20 PM »
Have you looked at these? https://gallowayprecision.com/ruger/lc9s/captured-sure-feed-guide-rod-assembly-for-Ruger-lc9s/

Yes. Problem with that system is that the reduced power striker spring compensates for the lower amount of recoil spring power. In other words, in order to get the slide to go into battery reliably with the new recoil assembly, the striker assembly cannot have a strong (original) striker spring. A reduced power striker spring allows the assembly to go into battery, but it's not guaranteed. The system, although well thought out, meets the physical limits of what the recoil assembly can provide. Can it work? Yes. Will it work 100% of the time? I have no idea of those statistics.

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 04:37:42 PM »
Galloway Precision makes no bones about what they can produce. Sometimes their products are 100% and at other times there may be products that live on the bleeding edge of hope. They make no bones about it. However, if they don't try, most likely no one else in this arena will, and no one gets that chance to experiment with their ingenuity.

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 04:43:15 PM »
Galloway Precision makes no bones about what they can produce. Sometimes their products are 100% and at other times there may be products that live on the bleeding edge of hope. They make no bones about it. However, if they don't try, most likely no one else in this arena will, and no one gets that chance to experiment with their ingenuity.

I can't say enough great things about Galloway. Eric is so very dedicated to produce parts that we all can take advantage of in our pursuit of perfection, that it seems inconceivable that his products are relegated to normal everyday production.  He's a top notch a+ personality perfectionist. Take advantage of that while you can!

Diamondback Firearms