Author Topic: DB380 New Owner 2018  (Read 401 times)

Range Rat

• Hatchling
DB380 New Owner 2018
« on: February 10, 2018, 09:25:37 PM »
  I picked up a Diamondback DB380 on January 13th.  I made the mistake of not doing my due diligence and researching customer satisfaction prior to ordering.  Had I been aware of the history of chronic problems that the DB380 has and seen all of the posts and videos about the unreliability of the gun, I would not have ordered it.  But I did not do my homework and I did order the DB380.  As such, I am going to post my experience with the gun as it progresses.

I do like the size, weight and feel of the gun.  It is very accurate, at 30 feet I am shooting very tight groups and I do not claim to be the worlds best pistol shot.  In these respects it is exactly what I wanted, a small, easy to carry .380 CCW pistol.

I took it apart and lubed it with Battle Borne lubricating gel.  I also bought two more Diamondback magazines.  I fired it at the range for the first time on January 20th.  I was not impressed.  I fired 42 rounds of Winchester USA White Box 95 grain FMJ.  That is perfectly good ammunition and any decent pistol should be able to cycle it.  Five times when I released the slide I got a FTF.  Firing the gun I got about 20 FTFs.  This strikes me as an unacceptable number of failures.  I know they claim that the gun requires a 200 round "break in" period but shouldn't it cycle better than that?  My Colt 1911, Kimber 1911, Browning Hi-Power, UPS 9, USP 45, P290, Tokarev and Ruger LCP all cycled properly right out of the box.

The second trip to the range I fired another 100 rounds of Winchester.  There was absolutely no improvement in it reliably cycling.  I had a FTF on all but two times that I racked the slide.  The last three rounds of the mags fed fine but I had FTF on at least 2 of 3 on the first three rounds of every magazine.

I have seen that people claim that replacing the magazine spring will eliminate the FTF.  Okay, so why doesn't Diamondback put those springs in the mags in the first place?  I have to spend extra money to buy them myself?  I am going to order the springs but I really shouldn't have to.

If the springs don't solve the FTF problem, then I will put another 100 rounds through it and see if Diamondback will repair it.  Given the incredibly poor performance thus far I am not expecting that after 200 rounds it will suddenly feed and cycle properly but I will follow the rules.

Thus far I am not impressed with Diamondback customer service either.  I called twice and got sent to voicemail without speaking to a real person.  The third time I instead opted to push "0" to speak to the operator.  After pressing "0" there were four rings and then someone picked up the handset and immediately hung up.  I find that really rude and it does nothing to convince me that they stand behind their product.  If I pulled that on a customer at my job I'd be fired.

That's my DB380 experience to date.  As I continue along I will post updates.  I would very much like it if at the end of this saga I have a functioning DB380 that is reliable enough that I can use it as a CCW gun.

mr380acp

• Western Diamondback
  • NRA Life Member
Re: DB380 New Owner 2018
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 08:02:56 AM »
Sorry to hear you have issues. I have 2 gen that run well from the factory. Maybe you have an issue with the feed ramp? Post a pic of the feed ramp if you can

5 iron

• Pygmy Rattler
DB380 New Owner 2018
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 09:26:54 PM »
Sounds like the break in ammo is not strong enough or the recoil spring is too stiff.
Are the bullets in a nose up or nose down position when they fail to feed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

trooperc7

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 07:24:51 AM »
Sorry you are having problems.  Your experience is much like mine was with my db9.......I even sent mine in and they kept it for 4 months and returned it , still unable to cycle a magazine of ammo without jamming....Finally fixed it myself. Hope it works out for you. Good luck!

Range Rat

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 08:01:04 PM »
  Thank you all for your input.  As I lack the necessary gunsmithing and machinist skills to fix it myself, I am going to have to find a solution through either Diamondback or a professional gunsmith.
  My break in ammo was 182 rounds of Winchester 95 grain FMJ and 50 Aguila 95 grain FMJ.  As it FTF about half the time when I release the slide during the initial charging after inserting a loaded magazine, I do not think that the ammo strength is the issue.  The rounds jam pointing slightly upward, striking the feed ramp about halfway up the bullet itself.
  Saturday I replaced the magazine springs with the Wolff springs.  The Wolff are really nice, longer and stronger than the factory springs.
  I fired 40 Winchester and 50 Aquila rounds through it.  FTF on charging was about 50% but FTF during firing was noticeably improved.  I got three consecutive magazines to fire six shots each without any jams.  It was still unacceptably high but better.
  Today I called Diamondback for the fifth time and spoke to Kimmie and then one of their gunsmiths.  He is going to send me a new barrel.  Once that arrives, I will put another 100 Aguila through it. 
  I'll post pics of both ramps once I have them to see if there is any noticeable difference.  Again, thanks for the input.

Range Rat

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 08:28:43 PM »
  Thus far, I have found customer service to be fairly unresponsive.  They have not returned a couple of calls and an email.  No one has yet seemed to be very concerned about helping to get my DB380 to function properly.  I did speak to a gunsmith who never apologized for the failure of my DB380 to function, he said that he would send a new barrel, that "maybe that would help". After a delay, which they did advise me of via email, I finally received the replacement barrel from Diamondback.  I haven't shot it yet.  In the photos the new one is on the right or on the top. Barrel Bottom.jpgDB380 New Owner 2018
* Barrel Bottom.jpg (17.81 kB . 700x393 - viewed 217 times)

Range Rat

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 08:30:21 PM »
Barrel Top.jpgDB380 New Owner 2018
* Barrel Top.jpg (18.46 kB . 700x393 - viewed 218 times)

Range Rat

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 08:30:51 PM »
Barrel Ramps.jpgDB380 New Owner 2018
* Barrel Ramps.jpg (19.16 kB . 700x393 - viewed 222 times)

Range Rat

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 08:31:18 PM »
Barrel Side.jpgDB380 New Owner 2018
* Barrel Side.jpg (18.85 kB . 700x393 - viewed 215 times)

mr380acp

• Western Diamondback
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 12:16:58 PM »
Can’t say for sure if I see a dramatic difference from one to the other. Waiting on the next range report ...

Range Rat

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 06:04:11 PM »
  I put the new barrel in and went to the range yesterday.  The first seven magazines it performed flawlessly.  I was really excited.  I thought that it was finally working and that I could start using it as my CCW.  The next five magazines it started jamming again.  It went into battery every time that I charged it but there were several FTF while shooting.  Also, four rounds failed to fire even though the primer was dimpled.  I ran one of them through the gun again and it fired.  I was using Aquila ammo.  Now I am not sure if it was the ammo or the gun.  Next time I go to the range I am going to try different ammo.
  As always the DB380 was very accurate and I still like the size, weight and feel of it.  I am still hoping that it will function reliably enough to trust as my carry gun.  Up to this point I am very frustrated with it, though.

Terminatorret

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 08:48:34 PM »
DB380's love to be clean and oiled. IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY, Aquila ammo is rather "dirty" compared to many US brands. I use Aquila .380 and love it. But, could it be that after 7 mags, it started collecting carbon.
Another thought, new barrel = new break-in period or fluff-and-buff.
Another thought, after 7 mags, did you become just a little bit complacent and limp-wristed without thinking about it?
Another thought, have you cleaned your magazines or replaced the weak OEM mag springs with the stiffer Keltec springs?
I'm no expert. I fluffed and buffed, cleaned, oiled and I can fire several magazines without incident...but I rarely fire more than 20 rounds at a time.
I just know that micro pistols, ANY micro pistol (Ruger, Taurus, Keltec,...), require more attention and are more finicky than full sized pistols. They can be ammo picky. They can demand cleanliness and just the right amount of lubrication. They can require polished feed ramps. They can demand stronger magazine springs.
I'm sorry that you are experiencing problems. I wish I could be there to observe, fire, tear-down with you.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
Davy Crockett
Hero of the Alamo

Range Rat

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 07:09:31 PM »
 Hopefully this will be my final report regarding the DB380.
  First off I'd like to thank everyone who provided input, I really appreciate it.
  I went to the range today and shot five different types of ammo, two Hornady, two Federal and the Aguila,  I only had one issue and that was with the Aquila.  While I've fired cases of Aguila through my USP's, it is just range ammo not self-defense ammo.  I had no issues at all with any of the Hornady or Federal.  I am going the say that the ammo was, and to some degree has been, the source of the malfunctions.  I feel confident that I can carry this gun and that it will cycle properly if I have it loaded with high quality ammo.  I will experiment further with the Hornady and Federal to determine which I like the best but I do not anticipate additional problems.  I have cleaned and lubed the DB380 thoroughly after every use and will do so again before I carry it.
  So my advice to anyone that buys one is:
  1) Accept that you will have to put 200 rounds down range as part of the breaking in process. 
  2) Replace your mag spring(s) with the Wolff springs, they are worth it.
  3) Use quality ammo, this gun is finicky.

Patience, which is not one of my strong points, is required.  But I have liked the size weight and accuracy of this gun all along so I am glad that I went through the process.  If I have any more problems with my DB380 I will post, otherwise I am taking a no news is good news approach.

Dagwood

• Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2018, 08:40:53 PM »
Winchester White Box is Crap Ammo. I have had several guns that wouldn't cycle it worth a darn. Not in .380, but in 9mm and .45.
One thing I have noticed personally is that smaller caliber guns like .380 and .25 can be very ammo picky. I'm glad you  finally seem to have it figured out. Good Luck
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Benjamin Franklin

mr380acp

• Western Diamondback
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2018, 07:30:33 AM »
I have found Winchester white box to be flawless in my db380. I would have to say ammo preference may vary from gun to gun

Diamondback Firearms

Diamondback Firearms