Author Topic: DB380 New Owner 2018  (Read 12376 times)

Range Rat

• Hatchling
Re: DB380 New Owner 2018
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2018, 01:24:33 PM »
Update:

The Good:

Over the summer I went to the range with two friends.  We shot my DB380, a Glock 42 and a Ruger LCP II.  My DB380 easily won the accuracy contest.  On that occasion I had no FTF issues, the Glock jammed twice and the Ruger once.  So that was a good DB day.

The Bad:

After putting over 300 rounds through the DB380 I did get a period where I fired about 8 magazines without any issues.  Then I started getting FTF once a magazine again.  I was shooting exclusively Hornady and Federal.

The Ugly:

While I was trying to work through the new FTF issues I started getting light strikes.  I had 12 rounds where the primers where dimpled but had not fired.  I put every one of them into my Browning BDA and they all discharged.

So I sent the pistol back to Diamondback.  I contacted their customer service via the website and they emailed me a UPS 2nd Day Air label.  They said allow 4-6 weeks but I got it back two weeks to the day after I sent it in.  According to the tech report they included in the box they did the following: replaced the sear, trigger springs, firing pin and adjusted the breach.

Now I am torn.  Part of me wants to simply sell it now and be done with it.  This pistol has been unreliable and I do not trust it enough to bet my life on it in a self-defense situation. 
By the same token, if I don't take it to the range and test it then I am not giving Diamondback a fair shake.  Maybe they did get it squared away.

I am going to the range this weekend.  If I decide to shoot it I will post the results.

5 iron

• Sidewinder
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2018, 04:18:49 PM »
As you witnessed with the Glock and Ruger, mouse guns in general are very finicky.  If I try to run more than 300 rounds without cleaning through the Sig 238 or Beretta Pico, they also start to choke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr380acp

• Western Diamondback
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2018, 04:48:27 PM »
I agree 300 rounds without cleaning could cause some issues...

Range Rat

• Hatchling
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2018, 08:36:12 AM »
  I cleaned it at least three times during the almost 400 rounds that I have fired.  Pretty much every time I shot it, I field stripped it and cleaned it, including swabbing the barrel.  That's not the issue.

5 iron

• Sidewinder
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2018, 05:53:19 PM »
Update:

The Good:

Over the summer I went to the range with two friends.  We shot my DB380, a Glock 42 and a Ruger LCP II.  My DB380 easily won the accuracy contest.  On that occasion I had no FTF issues, the Glock jammed twice and the Ruger once.  So that was a good DB day.

The Bad:

After putting over 300 rounds through the DB380 I did get a period where I fired about 8 magazines without any issues.  Then I started getting FTF once a magazine again.  I was shooting exclusively Hornady and Federal.

The Ugly:

While I was trying to work through the new FTF issues I started getting light strikes.  I had 12 rounds where the primers where dimpled but had not fired.  I put every one of them into my Browning BDA and they all discharged.

So I sent the pistol back to Diamondback.  I contacted their customer service via the website and they emailed me a UPS 2nd Day Air label.  They said allow 4-6 weeks but I got it back two weeks to the day after I sent it in.  According to the tech report they included in the box they did the following: replaced the sear, trigger springs, firing pin and adjusted the breach.

Now I am torn.  Part of me wants to simply sell it now and be done with it.  This pistol has been unreliable and I do not trust it enough to bet my life on it in a self-defense situation. 
By the same token, if I don't take it to the range and test it then I am not giving Diamondback a fair shake.  Maybe they did get it squared away.

I am going to the range this weekend.  If I decide to shoot it I will post the results.

Have you done any additional testing? 

Range Rat

• Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2018, 09:28:49 PM »
  I have not yet.  When I went to the range last weekend I did not shoot it as I was still undecided about selling it.  My next range trip will be a week from today.  I plan to shoot several different rounds through it.  I have some Winchester USA, Federal, Hornady, Magtech and even reloads.  I know that reloads can be less than stellar performers but I've put 100 of this batch through my Browning BDA without an issue.  I am going to see how it performs.  I will post the results.

Range Rat

• Hatchling
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2018, 08:39:08 PM »
 I finally got to the range today with my DB380.  I brought five types of .380 ammo.  I will list them in the order that I fired them and the results.

SIG Elite Performance 100 grain

1st Magazine:

1st round FTF when I racked the slide.
     2nd round Light Strike, no discharge.
     3rd round FTF. 
     4th round FTF
     5th & 6th rounds fired and cycled.

Aguila 95 grain FMJ:

1st Magazine:

2nd round FTF

2nd Magazine:

3rd round FTF

Armscor 95 grain FMJ

1st Magazine:

1st round Light Strike, no discharge.

2nd Magazine:

All 6 rounds fed, fired and cycled.

Magtech 95 grain FMJ

1st Magazine:

2nd round FTF.
     3rd round FTF.

Reloads 95 grain

1st Magazine

1st round Light Strike, no discharge.

2nd Magazine

2nd round FTF.

3rd Magazine

2nd round Light Strike, no discharge.

The best results were with the Armscor but the persistent light strikes and continued FTF is unacceptable.  Back to Diamondback it goes.

trooperc7

• Sidewinder
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2018, 08:45:42 AM »
Good luck....Sounds a lot like my DB9 experience!

Range Rat

• Hatchling
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2019, 07:35:33 PM »
  I got my DB380 back from the second service trip to Diamondback.  I fired six different types of ammo through it.  The SIG & Armscor FMJ cycled without problem.  Three of the four hollow points had jamming issues but the Federal 90 grain Hydra-Shok JHP seemed to cycle fine.  I fired twelve rounds of it.  I ordered 60 rounds and will see how they work out.

mr380acp

• Western Diamondback
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2019, 09:47:34 AM »
Check out the trigger cam block. It might have an edge that the hollow points are catching on. There is a YouTube video “Diamond back spring repair “ it’s about 10 minutes long and it covers this issue

Range Rat

• Hatchling
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2019, 08:16:15 PM »
  Thank you.  I am about to watch the video and will look into that.  In Illinois we have to use hollow points in concealed carry guns so I definitely want to get it to cycle JHP.

mr380acp

• Western Diamondback
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2019, 08:34:56 AM »
Your welcome. Keep posting updates when you can.

Zantiszar

• Hatchling
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2019, 07:46:49 PM »
Dang And I was thinking on buying a DB380 :/

mr380acp

• Western Diamondback
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2019, 07:54:22 PM »
Dang And I was thinking on buying a DB380 :/
Dont let one bad review deter you..These are great pistols!

Terminatorret

• Sidewinder
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2019, 08:07:58 PM »
Concur...these are great pistols and DB has great customer service. With the exception of the Keltec P32 (and someday I may get one), all micros...at least the ones I can afford...have issues. Find the ammo that works for you, keep it cleaned and lubed, be conscious of limp-wristing, send it back if it is problematic.
Is it the best handgun I own? No. Is it my go-to in some cases? Yes.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
Davy Crockett
Hero of the Alamo

Diamondback Firearms