Author Topic: DB question  (Read 6695 times)

Savage67

• Hatchling
DB question
« on: November 25, 2017, 12:33:28 PM »
have a new DB10 EMLB and I’m having trouble getting anywhere close to a 1”MOA at 100 yards, used several different types of ammo, tried 165 grn and 150 grn and the 150 grn are better the 165 where all over the place, have run about 90 rounds through it so far, my first cold bore shot is right on the mark but the 2nd and 3rd are always 1-1/2 to 2 -1/2inches high,using it for hunting so match loads prolly will not help me much.

My setup

DB10EMLB 18” 308 Win
3x9x40 Nikon Buckmaster scope

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
Re: DB question
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 04:22:32 PM »
Talk to Cody at DB for his thoughts on this. He's always more than eager to help.

Ned

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 10:17:57 PM »
You should be happy with that. My DB 10 runs from 8" to a foot groups. If I shoot different loads at multiple targets, I need about a 4' backing paper at 100 yds to try to keep them on paper. Shoots 147 gr over a foot higher than 168, and all 165-168 loads suck in this thing.

Shouldn't be surprised, I guess. When I picked up the rifle, the gas block was so crooked it was touching the handguard.

It wasn't drilled with a set-screw jig, so I was able to straighten it up.

I noticed that DB doesn't have an accuracy guaranty. With the lack of attention to basic detail like a crooked gas block, I wonder if the barrel is even torqued on properly.

I will likely rebarrel this new rifle. I'm just trying to find out if a DPMS barrel extension will work before I pull this apart. I have a barrel here with a DPMS extension on it.

it's too bad. Gun functions flawlessly - worst shooter I've actually ever seen, though.

Be thankful you just have poor grouping - not abysmal.

DB

• Red Diamond
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 04:18:57 PM »
Sorry if yall are having issues with accuracy. We do cover accuracy so if you are having issues then email us at info@diamondbackfirearms.com
Hopefully it is just a simple crown job to fix it. Now if someone is shooting a little over an inch with cheap ammo then thats not too bad. So much comes into play when we talk accuracy,
scope, shooter, ammo, break in and much more. If you are having issues email us with data and the issue. Promise we try our best to take care of everyone as fast as we can.

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 04:37:31 PM »
I prefer not having a dimpled barrel to align the gas block. That could be off as well. Try this, it's great.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/gas-system-tools/ar-15-gas-block-aligner-prod68371.aspx

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 04:42:32 PM »
And... I agree with DB, it could be as simple as the crown. You can crown your own barrel with a few available kits. I'd go with a full 11 degree target crown to eliminate that as the problem. If you have a brake, I would suspect that 1st. Remove the brake and see how she shoots.

Ned

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 12:19:30 PM »
My gas block is now closely aligned, although i didn't remove it or the handguard or use a gauge or jig to align it. Wasn't willing to change anything that would void warranty at that point. I also haven't taken off the factory flashhider to check the crown. If I do that I will likely pull the barrel and check torque specs and then run out of the receiver face with a gauge. At that point, I have a different barrel I can install. Might just try that.

Since the gas block was either installed improperly or moved when the handguard was installed, (which is why I like to dimple my gas blocks) i suppose it's possible the crown is damaged, although i don't see how an uncrowned barrel could make it through production into the finished product unless absolutely no attention to detail was the standard. It doesn't look that way, and everything else on the rifle was nicely finished and appointed.

This is the first AR10 platform I have worked on. All other 308s were DPMS - everything from high and low receiver to G2. So I'm not sure if a DPMS barrel extension will work on an AR 10.

All I've done is try to break in the barrel while sighting in the rifle, with absolutely terrible results. I can crown the barrel, have several crowning tools here. I've seen damaged crowns degrade accuracy, but nothing like this.

I've not yet seen a flashhider affect accuracy, although I suppose it can happen. I don't like brakes, and have no problems with actual hard kickers without a brake. So I typically use a linear comp on AR platform rifles, because I dislike concussion more than recoil. But I haven't added that yet.

Thanks so much for your input, suggestions and the link. Much appreciated.

Ned

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 10:34:37 AM »
Submitted info re serial number and problems on DB Website contact page. Haven't heard back. Would also like to know:

If i remove flash hider does that cancel warranty?
If i have barrel re-crowned does that affect warranty?
If i remove handguard and check barrel torque, does that affect warranty?
Will a 308 barrel with a DPMS barrel extension work?
If I have receive face trued, will that affect warranty?
Thanks

DB

• Red Diamond
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 12:36:02 PM »
None of that will affect warranty and yes we use a DPMS barrel extension. Why dont you just send it in? We have a warranty because things can happen the best of people and the best of parts. We send a prepaid tag for you to send it in so it doesn't cost you.

Diamondback Firearms