Author Topic: Starting to have feed problems  (Read 5544 times)

4given

• Red Diamond
  • Not Perfect, Just Forgiven
Starting to have feed problems
« on: March 19, 2018, 12:25:02 PM »
Well, I took my DB9 to the range  Saturday with two boxes of Critical Defense.  I decided I wanted to shoot a few through it and with the thought of carrying them again since the tests I posted looked so good.  I could not get through a magazine without one or more FTF jams. I gave up after 25 rounds. I was bummed.

So I whipped out the trusty Remington 115 JHP  to build my confidence back up and guess what? More FTF jams! Not every mag but every other mag. I shot 50 rounds and gave up.
I am truly disheartened. I thought I had this pistol all dialed in and have been carrying it with confidence but I have had two disappointing range sessions with it since. I can no longer trust it.   This thing was sparkling clean, inspected and properly lubed. Everything looked good and there should have been no problems.

Oh well, back to pocket carrying my trusty TCP.  It has always run flawlessly.  I don’t know what to do from here.  I have run several  hundred dollars worth of ammo through this gun  and here I am back to square one.
John 3:16-18

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
Re: Starting to have feed problems
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 12:54:05 PM »
Same failure with both mags? I tend to want to blame the mags first if there are feed issues.

4given

• Red Diamond
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 01:12:42 PM »
Yep both mags.

4given

• Red Diamond
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 01:14:09 PM »
I disassembled and cleaned the mags before this range session. I have the Kel tec springs in them.

4given

• Red Diamond
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 01:32:39 PM »
I wonder if it is a problem with the barrel?

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 06:52:25 PM »
I had a problem one time with another issue, and when the gun came back, the barrel ramp was highly polish and widened. I think I posted some pics at one time, but I'll try to find the before and after again.

4given

• Red Diamond
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 06:57:45 PM »
I had a problem one time with another issue, and when the gun came back, the barrel ramp was highly polish and widened. I think I posted some pics at one time, but I'll try to find the before and after again.

I have polished the feed ramp myself and did the fluff and buff. I wonder if I sent just the barrel in they would take a look at it.

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 06:59:57 PM »
Ramps

barrels01.JPGStarting to have feed problems
* barrels01.JPG (39.91 kB . 700x362 - viewed 1079 times)

barrels02_compare.jpgStarting to have feed problems
* barrels02_compare.jpg (39.21 kB . 700x400 - viewed 1013 times)

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 07:03:12 PM »
Another unrelated area, but needed.

5821-05a.jpgStarting to have feed problems
* 5821-05a.jpg (34.78 kB . 700x393 - viewed 1011 times)

5821-07a.jpgStarting to have feed problems
* 5821-07a.jpg (33.77 kB . 700x393 - viewed 988 times)

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 07:04:33 PM »
Without shaping block.

6932-03a.jpgStarting to have feed problems
* 6932-03a.jpg (30.8 kB . 700x393 - viewed 1007 times)

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 07:06:25 PM »
As you can tell from the ramp work, it's pretty aggressive, but in my case the results were perfect.

trooperc7

• Sidewinder
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 08:43:34 AM »
4given , i feel your pain! I wanted to like the DB9. It Was sent in to fix trigger breaking and failure to feed. They fixed the trigger issue but the feed problem remained. I finally fixed the feed issue by replacing the mag springs. I would have 1 or 2 rounds jam every 2 or 3 mags. I did carry the gun for almost a year. I figured at the time I knew i would get off at least 1 round. Odds were in my favor for  more.....But i always had the nagging doubt about fully trusting it. In the end, i purchased a Ruger LC9. It was only slightly bigger and just as easy to carry and more importantly it gave me piece of mind!
Good Luck!

4given

• Red Diamond
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 10:10:51 AM »
4given , i feel your pain! I wanted to like the DB9. It Was sent in to fix trigger breaking and failure to feed. They fixed the trigger issue but the feed problem remained. I finally fixed the feed issue by replacing the mag springs. I would have 1 or 2 rounds jam every 2 or 3 mags. I did carry the gun for almost a year. I figured at the time I knew i would get off at least 1 round. Odds were in my favor for  more.....But i always had the nagging doubt about fully trusting it. In the end, i purchased a Ruger LC9. It was only slightly bigger and just as easy to carry and more importantly it gave me piece of mind!
Good Luck!

I have a LC9S Pro that I pocket carry when I wear jeans. It works great. I have shot hundreds rounds of factory rounds and reloads with ZERO malfuntions. It eats Ferderal HST 124 & 147 like candy.  However, it is a bit too large and heavy to carry in slacks & dress pants.  Pocket 380's and the DB9 work well in this role. I too really want the DB9 to work as it is the perfect size.   I have been thinking of trying a PF9 but I am afraid it will be no better.

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 10:34:55 AM »
I also have the LC9s Pro, but had it come apart on me one time while shooting (Guide rod/spring fell apart and locked it up. No field fix). Ruger was quick to send me a new assembly, but I've never trusted it since. Staking on spring retainer end plates makes me nervous!  :main_idiot2_ncc:  :main_whistling:

4given

• Red Diamond
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 11:20:44 AM »
I also have the LC9s Pro, but had it come apart on me one time while shooting (Guide rod/spring fell apart and locked it up. No field fix). Ruger was quick to send me a new assembly, but I've never trusted it since. Staking on spring retainer end plates makes me nervous!  :main_idiot2_ncc:  :main_whistling:

Can't blame you there.

Diamondback Firearms