Author Topic: First Impressions  (Read 3368 times)

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
First Impressions
« on: March 22, 2018, 02:58:15 PM »
My AM2 arrived today, but it was an early version, and DB requested that I send it to them for the latest updates. Evidently not many guns went out before the upgrades, but I'm lucky like that, right. I didn't even take the gun home. My LGS let me compare it to a G43 and G26, and it's sort of in-between, leaning closer to the G43 in dimensions. I'll do a full review once the gun returns from DB. The AM2 looks good. Just a couple areas of that big ol' question mark, and that's the beavertail and the trigger. The trigger is one of the upgrades (thank you) and I think the barrel has also been reworked. We'll see when it gets here.

I'm pretty sure it won't compete with the Sig P365 in size, but for now I have very little info to compare it to. The Sig has a 3.1" barrel vs the AM2's 3.5", which is huge in tiny gun world. But that makes the AM2 a little longer overall. Oh well, it's one of those compromises. I'm not positive, but I think the P365 has the same slide width as the AM2 @ .975". Correct me, please. The Glock 43 is .865", and that's fairly significant in tiny pistol world. I don't pay attention to overall width, since that normally means the slide stop or other lever(s) are being counted in the overall dimensions. I never believed those slight protrusions should be considered. To me, Slide width, height, and overall length play the most important roles. Besides loaded weight, of course. Ah, now we run into comparison conflicts. A 6+1 G43 will be lighter than any 10+1. It's up to you to decide if the additional weight is worth the additional capacity. No free lunches, so to speak.

If you're dead set on the more capacity the better, then we're talking. If you're comfortable carrying a G26, then the AM2 is right up your slimmer alley. The Keltec P11 has been around for years, but it seems that higher capacity hasn't made the spotlight until Sig introduced that P365. But wait! Yep, others have already been out there. Don't get me wrong, I think Sig's introduction of the P365 has awoken shooter's minds to the worth of higher capacity, as long as it's not cumbersome on a daily basis..

Stay tuned. I'll do a full review when the AM2 returns. Can't wait!!

Explorer3J

• Red Diamond
Re: First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 10:35:46 PM »
To start with. I'd be a tad upset after purchasing, waiting and receiving my gun,then have to send it back
without even taking it home....

Look forward to reading the review. Hopefully we'll be able to view a video of it too.

Clear, close up pics would be nice. Haven't really gotten a good look at the gun.
Only brief glimpses...

I'm really on the fence with this one. Is it worth the wait?
What serial numbers are considered "early" models. Looking forward to hear what the updates are.
Handguns: DB9FS, M&P22C, Sig Mosquito, M&P22, Ruger SR9, Ruger EC9S, Ruger LC9S Pro, Walther CCP
Shotgun: Rock Island Armory M5 12 Ga
Rifles: Mossberg 715T .22, Savage Mdl 64FXP .22

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 08:47:08 AM »
 Nah, not me. It's new gun and they can have blips. Just look at what happened to Sig with the P320 and the new P365. Huge issues. DB, just like Sig recognized there were issues and Sig recalled the P320 and delayed production on the P365 after the first batch went out. In DB's case with the AM2, I'm under impression that the issues are improvements in the design. The only thing I'm sure of is that they redesigned the trigger bar for an improved reset (and perhaps overtravel?). I think they discovered another thing or two, but not sure what those are.

AM2 vs G43

20180322_115357.jpgFirst Impressions
* 20180322_115357.jpg (129.9 kB . 675x900 - viewed 2254 times)

20180322_115421.jpgFirst Impressions
* 20180322_115421.jpg (53.4 kB . 700x525 - viewed 3128 times)

4given

• Red Diamond
  • Not Perfect, Just Forgiven
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 05:47:39 PM »
Nice looking pistol. Interesting grip surface.
John 3:16-18

Diamondback Firearms