Author Topic: Florence  (Read 5547 times)

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
Florence
« on: September 10, 2018, 07:09:03 PM »
Anyone in the path of Florence? We're inland, near Raleigh, NC and the path is right over the top of our newly shingled roof.  :main_omg_smile: I think this is going to be somewhat worse than Fran since that was a fast moving storm that hit at 115 mph. Florence will probably be a cat 5 @ 150 mph just before landfall. By the time it gets to us it should be about 60 mph with wind with gusts up to 100 mph.

Already cranked up the generator to test it and filled a couple 5 gallon containers. Filled the cars for siphoning, too, if needed. 10KW will run our bottom floor, so we'll stay cool and not lose any food. Actually, it's been rare to lose power around here unless it's a utility issue.

pecospuppy

• Western Diamondback
  • Old Cowboy
Re: Florence
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 09:22:26 PM »
I'm in Greensboro.  Did the same thing.  Ran the generator and filled the lawn tractor gas cans to be ready.  I put a satellite power box on my house so I can disconnect the main breaker and run half the house with the generator.  Since I did it, I haven't had to use the generator so this may be the first time to try it.  I'd rather never have to!  :main_angry:

mr380acp

• Western Diamondback
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 06:03:06 AM »
Hope you guys are safe!

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 03:53:17 PM »
I just found out newer cars have anti-siphon protection. Terrific!  :main_undecided_ncc:

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 04:59:57 PM »
Looks like this storm may be a nothingburger for Raleigh.

geo.ulrich

• N.R.A. endowment member
  • Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 07:19:31 PM »
Hope you guys stay safe.  not to worry on anti siphon disconnect fuel line under hood and turn ignition on it will pump gas for you.
G.O.A.   MEMBER
I.S.R.A. MEMBER

pecospuppy

• Western Diamondback
  • Old Cowboy
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 01:26:09 PM »
Looks like this storm may be a nothingburger for Raleigh.
The show ain't over yet.  It's supposed to head north soon.  We are forecasted to get 5 inches or so here in Greensboro over the next 48 hours.  Not a death sentence, but it can't be described as a nothingburger either.

I've got one tree down so far and one leaning...

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 03:53:51 PM »
The show ain't over yet.  It's supposed to head north soon.  We are forecasted to get 5 inches or so here in Greensboro over the next 48 hours.  Not a death sentence, but it can't be described as a nothingburger either.

I've got one tree down so far and one leaning...

We're from Greensboro. Recently move MIL to live right next to us in Garner (in assisted living facility). Been to GSO lots lately moving stuff out of her condo and getting it ready to sell. Just listed it. MIL will need every penny to stay in facility as prices are insane. $6500/mo average. Stay safe and be well.

pecospuppy

• Western Diamondback
  • Old Cowboy
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 05:55:06 PM »
MIL will need every penny to stay in facility as prices are insane. $6500/mo average. Stay safe and be well.
Here's wishing you well.  I moved my MIL into my home for the last 4 years of her life.  She would never have been able to afford $6500/mo.  Thankfully she was a delightful woman.

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 01:04:07 PM »
Wind damage....

hurricane damage.jpgFlorence
* hurricane damage.jpg (43.86 kB . 486x314 - viewed 889 times)

pecospuppy

• Western Diamondback
  • Old Cowboy
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 05:58:14 PM »
Wind damage....

:main_thumbs_2up:  Where's the like button?

Diamondback Firearms