Author Topic: Wish we could shoot 135g  (Read 3831 times)

mitch9mm

• Hatchling
Wish we could shoot 135g
« on: December 01, 2018, 05:06:04 PM »
I found a smokin deal on some Hornady Critical Duty for $15 a box.
Too bad we’re not supposed to shoot these☹️

kyoten3

• Pygmy Rattler
Re: Wish we could shoot 135g
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 06:20:37 AM »
I have had no problems running 135 grain Hydra-Shoks in my DB9. It's not that running above 124 grain is dangerous, just might have feeding and chambering issues. Give them a try and see, my DB9 is a 2017 model and I've ran about 75 rounds of them with 0 failures, I trust it with them.

Mike’sDuster

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 07:42:38 PM »
How can you tell that you have a 2017 model???  I just bought one yesterday and would like to know what yr it is.  LOL. It is brand new.

kyoten3

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 08:14:36 PM »
You can call DB and give them the serial and they can tell you what year it is. I'm assuming mine is a 2017 because I purchased it from a store that opened in 2017, so unless their distributor had old guns... Mine is a YE serial.

Hobo73

• Pygmy Rattler
  • I am me, known as Hobo to most love me or not I'm
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 08:47:10 PM »
Loading issue? Have you watched the videos online of the barrel/gun blown apart from shooting high power ammo?
You couldn't pay me enuf to risk blowing my hand apart!
If I wanted to shoot high power I would have bought one that can handle it because if/when it does blow DB isn't responsible for replacement or injuries as they warned you of the issue!
I am the Hobo, no more, no less, but ALWAYS me!

Hobo73

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 08:51:52 PM »
Just one I found.

Found the other

I like his response (I have been shooting many many years and have always shot this ammo)
Does he think since he has made toast for many years even tho the tag says do not use toaster in bath tub it's ok for HIM to do it?

kyoten3

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 10:51:25 PM »
I might be wrong but I highly doubt that was from a +p round, not a factory loaded one anyway. That is either a way over loaded hand load, or a squib, which I'm pretty sure that's what it is, squib load. I've never seen a +p round do that, +p is only about 10% hotter then standard, it will wear the gun for faster but there are several videos of people shooting +p in the DB9 and it didn't blow up at all.

Hobo73

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 12:26:32 AM »
Found the second video. Those two right there were enuf to convince me it's a no go....
Plus is saving a few bucks on a killer deal really worth (risking) your gun and safety?
I mean honestly if ya cant take them down with a 124 grain six/seven shots you need to work on aim, more power isnt the issue lol

5 iron

• Sidewinder
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 08:45:39 AM »
I might be wrong but I highly doubt that was from a +p round, not a factory loaded one anyway. That is either a way over loaded hand load, or a squib, which I'm pretty sure that's what it is, squib load. I've never seen a +p round do that, +p is only about 10% hotter then standard, it will wear the gun for faster but there are several videos of people shooting +p in the DB9 and it didn't blow up at all.
I agree. There was some other issue going on than just a hot round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesi

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 10:45:34 AM »
A few years back I was at a range, A guy was shooting 9mm Israeli military surplus ammo made for sub guns out of a highpoint 9. After about 5 rounds he had a kaboom. Turns out that surplus stuff is really hot and it was not a squib.
 I do believe you are right with that DB9, Squib.

Hobo73

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 10:06:00 AM »
I stand corrected! I emailed DB and we CAN shoot +p in the Gen4. I apologize for my error.

mondain

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 09:25:32 AM »
I stand corrected! I emailed DB and we CAN shoot +p in the Gen4. I apologize for my error.

My Gen4 came with a sticker around the trigger guard saying not rated for +P. 

Hobo73

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2019, 11:49:15 PM »
My Gen 4 did to. After much discussion about it here I email DB and their reply was YES the gen 4 will handle +p ammo.
Me personally I just run critical defense. If I have to use it and they dont go down after seven rounds of that then I give up lol

Diamondback Firearms