Author Topic: I gave the DB9 another chance  (Read 2667 times)

Utah

• Hatchling
I gave the DB9 another chance
« on: January 08, 2019, 08:04:56 PM »
My first gen DB9 did not work at all and I sold it immediately.

Now I'm trying the second gen. I fired 50 rounds of ball ammo with no malfunctions. Then I fired 50 rounds of hollow points and experienced three failures to feed.

Today, I fired a different batch of hollow points, 75 rounds of Fiocchi 124-grain XTP Hollow Points, and got no malfunctions.

I had low expectations but high hopes and I'm amazed to experience success with hollow points. I will shoot it very little and carry it a lot. I fully expected it to not work, but it is working. Astonishing.

I am going to start including the DB9 in my CCW rotation.

pecospuppy

• Western Diamondback
  • Old Cowboy
Re: I gave the DB9 another chance
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 08:51:59 PM »
Glad it's working for you. :main_smiley:

I don't understand this comment however, "I will shoot it very little and carry it a lot."  It makes sense to me to shoot it a lot and carry it always.  To shoot it little and carry it a lot seems to me that you will not have adequate experience and confidence using the one tool that will possibly save your life.

Utah

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 10:40:12 PM »
pecospuppy, I will shoot it little and carry it a lot because I don't see the DB9 as a high-round-count kind of weapon. I don't want to wear it out with practice. I will, of course, fire a few magazines every now and then. But I'm not going to rack up thousands of rounds on this tiny, delicate firearm.

pecospuppy

• Western Diamondback
  • Old Cowboy
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 10:47:39 PM »
Hi Utah,

I can understand the concern.  I wouldn't want to wear out my carry gun either, but I suspect it isn't as delicate as you are thinking.  The barrel is steel, it is made like all the others and the history of the handgun shows that they do take thousands of rounds without significant wear.  In fact, you need hundreds of rounds through one before they are considered broken in.  The trigger will still be stiff if it is only going to see an occasional magazine. 

It is certainly your gun and your right to keep it in it's new condition, but I would send hundreds of rounds downrange before I would worry about wear.

Anyway, glad you are here!  :main_wave5:

mr380acp

• Western Diamondback
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 08:16:18 AM »
I wouldn’t worry about the durability of the pistol. I have about 2000 rounds through my DB 380. I think these pistols can take it !!

Utah

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 03:32:04 PM »
Hi Utah,

I can understand the concern.  I wouldn't want to wear out my carry gun either, but I suspect it isn't as delicate as you are thinking.  The barrel is steel, it is made like all the others and the history of the handgun shows that they do take thousands of rounds without significant wear.  In fact, you need hundreds of rounds through one before they are considered broken in.  The trigger will still be stiff if it is only going to see an occasional magazine. 

It is certainly your gun and your right to keep it in it's new condition, but I would send hundreds of rounds downrange before I would worry about wear.

Anyway, glad you are here!  :main_wave5:
pecospuppy, Thank you.

I have 175 rounds through the weapon. There were three FTFs with hollow points during the first 100 rounds. Then I tried a different brand and the last 75 rounds yielded no malfunctions.

Looking forward to trying out a gen 4.

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 03:41:34 PM »
Me too. The Gen 4 looks amazing and has many improvements. I don't think there's much that has stayed the same. DB went through all the normal growing pains, as most manufacturers do, but they persist, and I'm glad they do. And their new AM2 is a really durable 100% shooter. You Go DB.  :main_thumbs_2up:

Diamondback Firearms