Author Topic: New DB9 First Impressions  (Read 1451 times)

Smooth1

• Sitting with Christ in heavenly places
  • Hatchling
New DB9 First Impressions
« on: January 12, 2019, 01:02:29 PM »
I picked up my new DB9 from my FFL yesterday.  After opening the box & examining the gun,  I was pleased with the overall quality of the little pistol.  For what I paid-less than $200 I was expecting a few tooling marks, but there was none.  After checking the manual, I proceeded to Field strip the gun in order to clean & lube it. Although the gun is very Glock like.I did struggle somewhat with the process.  The tabs on the frame are smaller than I’m used to and the recoil spring is very stiff.  After I got it all figured out, there was no problem. 

There was a little bit of machine oil inside that I cleaned out.  I decided to get my Dremel out to buff the slide rails & feed ramp.   I normally don’t do this with my GLOCKs or  M&Ps, but I thought it might help this little pistol.  After a few minutes buffing with a felt wheel & polish, I used some quality gun oil & reassembled it and worked the action several times to get the oil worked in.

I took it to the gun range this morning to try it out.  I also brought along my G23 so I could compare recoils.   When I first loaded the DB9 I had a little difficulty racking the first round into the chamber.  That recoil spring is tight.  OnceI got the hang of it I didn’t have any trouble.  I fired off the 1st magazine & no malfunctions.   2nd magazine no malfunctions.  Then I switched ammo brands from Seller & Beloit to Blazer.  I ran a few mags of that with no malfunctions.  I shot a total of 65 rounds using S&B and Blazerboth & the gun did not malfunction one time.  Pretty impressive.  To be real honest I was expecting a few malfunctions during break in.  I’m thinking the light buffing May have done some good.  Comparing recoil with my G23, each gun has a different recoil feel.  In my opinion the DB9 is no more uncomfortable to shoot than the G23.  .40 can be a real handful. 

I got home & my new Azusa pocket holster had arrived.  The gun fits the holster very well.  The whole setup fits in my front pocket OK, but I think I’m going to try to buy pants with slightly bigger pockets.  It’s going to take some practice drawing the pistol from my front pocket.

All in all I’m happy with the purchase.  For around $200.00 I got a respectable firearm & holster.  It’s hard to beat that.

Diamondback Firearms