Author Topic: Failure to feed from magazine, when it does I can’t pull the slide back to eject  (Read 7253 times)

Terry1951

• Hatchling

I’m have feed problems first of all, it won’t load a round if the magazine has 6 cart. in it five will load.
 The main issue is that when it loads one into the chamber you can’t pull the slide back to eject the round. If you push the slide back by using a fixed object that fits between the barrel and recoil spring you can force it to eject.
 It’s a first gen. gun with a YA prefix, have had it quite a while. The slide is harder than heck to pull back, and I’ve stretched the mag. spring to apply more upward forc on the cartridge.
 Any ideas?

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
Have you taken the gun apart to have a look at the internals? Sounds like something has come off it's tracks, so to speak. Personally, I'd have to take the gun all apart and inspect everything and put it back piece by piece. Very early generations had problems with the sear pin dropping out of place, and the rear chassis pin could break the internal support from recoil (if the rear block moves up from a broken support it could make racking difficult). These issues have been corrected. If there's no difficulty in racking and the gun seems to function normally when the magazine is out, I'd have to try another magazine.

I'm just second guessing these things, but maybe it will help you discover the problem. Or a trip to DB to let the experts have at it. 

Terry1951

• Hatchling
It seems the cartridge is stuck in the chamber, just dropping it it and applying a little pressure it’s hard to pull the live round out with your fingers. When you drop the slide it really jams it in.

Terry1951

• Hatchling
I have cleaned the crap out of the chamber with a stainless brush and Hoppes number 9 with no improvement.

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
So a cartridge loads fine, but after firing it gets stuck? Are you using regular brass ammo?

Terry1951

• Hatchling
No. It won’t load from the magazine if there are 6 cartridges in the magazine, if there are 5 it will load. When you let go of the slide to load it it jams the cartridge in the chamber so hard you can’t pull the slide back to eject the live round.
Yes I have tried 3 different types of brand new 115 grain Sami spec brass cased ammo.

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
That took me awhile, but now I'm on the same page. I think. LOL Unfortunately I don't have an answer for that, especially since the rest of the ammo in the magazine feeds fine. I'm picturing the first round getting fully slammed into the chamber with the extractor hooked to the rim, the slide is fully forward and ready to fire, but if you just want to extract that bullet it won't budge without excess force. When you do get the bullet out, is it damaged or dented, or just looks normal? Same problem if you chamber the round and drop the magazine before trying to eject it?

Terry1951

• Hatchling
Yes, that’s exactly what’s happening. When the slide slams the cartridge into the chamber it’s fargin stuck, you have to use a stationary object that fits between the bottom of the barrel and the recoil rod a really force it to open to eject the live cartridge.
 That’s with the magazine removed. It’s almost like the chamber is short or something, but it locks it up tighter than a nat’s but.The hood on the barrel says 9x19 (9mm).
 The first round jams into the feed ramp, you clear it and it will chamber the second rnd and lock up Evan after you pull the mag.
  I’ve had it quite a while and shot it almost never.

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
Wow. Nothing comes to mind why this is happening, especially since it only happens to the first round if 6 are loaded in the magazine (I guess that's right). It almost sounds as if the cartridge case is deforming just enough to get stuck.  :main_blink:

5 iron

• Sidewinder
Something is preventing the magazine spring from fully compressing. With 6 rounds in the mag, it still needs to be able to compress a little more to avoid too much upward pressure on the slide from the top cartridge in the mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
Something is preventing the magazine spring from fully compressing. With 6 rounds in the mag, it still needs to be able to compress a little more to avoid too much upward pressure on the slide from the top cartridge in the mag.

Sounds right. But why would the first round get jammed so tightly in the chamber that it doesn't manually extract, and the rest of the mag is fine. It's that getting stuck in the chamber that has me puzzled.

5 iron

• Sidewinder
The only thing I can think of is that somehow the cartridge is getting damaged.
Is the extraction problem with 6 still in the magazine or with 5 in the mag and the 6th in the pipe? I’m not quite clear on the circumstances.

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
The only thing I can think of is that somehow the cartridge is getting damaged.
Is the extraction problem with 6 still in the magazine or with 5 in the mag and the 6th in the pipe? I’m not quite clear on the circumstances.

Evidently, with 6 in the magazine, the first round get jammed tight in the chamber, and all other rounds are fine. Or if only 5 are loaded, everything runs fine. Crazy.

Terry1951

• Hatchling
Well after tearing the gun down completely 3 times looking for something broken and not finding anything I noticed a suggestion about the magazine. I had just had a Diamond back extension put on mag. I thought maybe the follower was kinda riding kind of high. I took the base plate off of the mag. apart, my friend had put the magazine spring in backwards.
 I looked up the magazine extension and it was a plus one but he had put the damn sting in backwards and stretched it to put more tension on the follower.
 I thought he knew better but I guess not. I’ll do my own work from now on, no matter how hectic my schedule is. I was ready to give up on it, now it’s back in my pocket.
 I feel kinda of dumb for not suspecting the obvious.
 I was ready

pecospuppy

• Western Diamondback
  • Old Cowboy
Wish I would have seen this earlier. 

I had the same thing happen to me after I cleaned the magazine from my DB9.  That round is really jammed into the feed ramp!  Mine was because when I put the mag back together I got the spring out if the slot in the follower and it was pushing too hard against it.  I just reset my follower and it feeds correctly now.  I could have helped you debug it!  :main_undecided_ncc:

Diamondback Firearms