Author Topic: DB9 Gen 4 Range Report  (Read 2719 times)

depletedyourcranium

• Hatchling
DB9 Gen 4 Range Report
« on: February 24, 2019, 08:39:28 PM »
Initial range report after taking out my Gen 4 for the first time. Sorry, no pics, but it is the Nickel Boron slide finished model, same gun from my side by side comparison.

Before shooting I detail stripped the slide, cleaned all interior surfaces with Hoppes 9 and wiped clean. I also ran a qtip down the striker channel, which came up clean (I sometimes find metal shavings in few makes and models of pistol, looking at you Keltec and Kahr). I also cleaned the frame rails with Hoppes and wiped clean. I then applied a very light coating of CLP around the barrel, locking surfaces of the barrel, barrel block channel, and at the 4 points of the frame rails. Worked the action to get the lube settled and functioned check the trigger and reset. Good to go. This is pretty much my SOP for all new pistols their first time out.

Loaded up 6 rounds in the magazine of 115 gr Federal FMJ. The slide is very stiff getting past that top round in a fully loaded magazine with this pistol. Not something I noticed with the gen 3. Not a big problem but it did make me slip up the first time charging the pistol.

I topped off the magazine and proceeded to fire 7 rounds at 7 yards. No malfunctions, printed about  4 to 5 inch group. Would be tighter but I kept pushing shots low at the break of trigger, hard to get a good feel for a gun this small. I was also using the flat floor plate as this is how I will carry the gun in a pocket.

I finished of 50 rounds of the FMJ without a single malfunction. I had one string in which I failed to seat the magazine properly which came out about half an inch after the first shot. I simply tapped the magazine in, racked a new round and went on. This was not an accidental release, that magazine button is pretty difficult  to engage even when you have your thumb on it. I think it has to do with the stiffness of the new magazine springs... when fully loaded they are just very tight and I simply failed to seat it when I reinserted the magazine after topping it off. Just something to keep in mind to double check before holstering.

I also fired 4 magazines of 115 gr UMC hollopoints, again with no malfunctions. I eventually got my groups a little tighter. I could probably do 3 inches at 7 yards of I do my part. I was never able to get a full 7 rounds that tight, though. I might get 4 to 5 in a tight cluster then push a couple fliers in the group a couple inches low. Note that this is much improved from my capabilities with my Gen 3... no doubt the improved sights has greatly improved consistency.

I also fired a few strings one handed, and specifically one string with as limp a grip as I could manage. I still couldn't induce a malfunction.

Overall I'm very satisfied with the Gen 4. Its gonna start its role as pocket carry tomorrow replacing my Gen 3. The improvements are subtle but when all put together it is a significant upgrade from the Gen 3.

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
Re: DB9 Gen 4 Range Report
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 11:23:26 PM »
Thanks for the report. I appears the Gen 4 is well on its way to being a winner for DB. I expect some folks will run into a few problems, but I doubt it would be any more than any other manufacturer. My earlier Gen, once upgraded, has been flawless. I look forward to adding the Gen 4 to my collection.

Brandontxh

• Red Diamond
  • I was once a libtard living in San Francisco
Re: DB9 Gen 4 Range Report
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 11:26:56 AM »
Would love a 400+ update. Mine didn't go past 300 with major problems. Thanks. :main_victory_ncc:
I was once a libtard living in San Francisco

Diamondback Firearms