Author Topic: DB9 4 Gen Recoil Guide Rod Head shattered on first outing.  (Read 23595 times)

Brandontxh

• Red Diamond
  • I was once a libtard living in San Francisco
Re: DB9 4 Gen Recoil Guide Rod Head shattered on first outing.
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2019, 02:59:41 PM »
I’m on 7th week in repair. :main_thumbs_2up:
I was once a libtard living in San Francisco

ohiodff

• Hatchling
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2019, 10:53:55 AM »
Got a shipping notice this morning of the guide rod assembly being sent out.  Too soon to see any details on UPS, but at least they have completed the testing and are shipping.

MJAb3

• Sidewinder
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2019, 11:44:39 AM »
Thanks for the update and good luck

pdxoriginal

• Hatchling
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2019, 09:31:06 PM »
Received my replacement guide rod.

Still a two piece, but it isn't a sloppy mess like the original and seemed to fix my slide lock problems. I will know for sure when I take it to the range this weekend.

boscobarbell

• Sidewinder
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2019, 09:42:43 PM »
Sounds like progress.  Interested to hear how it goes at the range.

ohiodff

• Hatchling
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2019, 08:02:29 PM »
Received mine today.  Hoping to get it to the range tomorrow but not sure I will.

olt

• Hatchling
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2019, 09:45:46 PM »
I received the new recoil spring assembly today in the mail. It appears to be similar in design to the previous Gen 4 guide rod.  It was my hope that the new guide rod would be of a different design.

20190802_202720.jpgDB9 4 Gen Recoil Guide Rod Head shattered on first outing.
* 20190802_202720.jpg (783.7 kB . 1249x1665 - viewed 1337 times)

Brandontxh

• Red Diamond
  • I was once a libtard living in San Francisco
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2019, 09:46:07 AM »
Going on 8th week of repair at Diamondback. :main_thumbs_2up:

olt

• Hatchling
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2019, 06:36:22 PM »
I placed the new recoil assembly into my DB9 today. The spring bottoms out with the breach just past the cartridge and the mag lock out. It does not have full travel of the slide. There is still about an eighth of an inch that the slide could travel back had the spring not bottomed out. I suspect this will cause the pistol to be sensitive to cartridge length and magazine spring pressure. There will be very little time for the next cartridge to snap up in front of the breach. I suspect the guide rod base as well as the area where the guide rod sits will probably take quite a bashing. The design of the guide rod seems to be the same as the original Gen 4 guide rod only with tighter tolerances. The design seems questionable and problematic.

At this point I have little faith in this new guide rod. I do not want to place a lot of rounds (money) through the pistol not knowing if and when the guide rod will fail. The rest of the pistol seems to be of a good design. It is odd that they went with this recoil spring and this guide rod.

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2019, 07:07:42 PM »
I Agree. Don't know what they were thinking. Looks like the design is simply a way to make assembly quick and easy. Not a big fan of it here. Not hating DB over this, but do hope they come up with a better design.

SirMykal

• Hatchling
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2019, 07:12:33 PM »
I don't understand.  If Diamondback extended the slide on the G4, why didn't they just extend the recoil guide rod assemby? The. Gen 3 guide rod assembly is eons better than the gen 4.

wild cat mccane

• Sidewinder
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2019, 07:53:07 PM »
To be clear, someone stated in this thread DB was working on a "new guide rod design" to resolve this issue.

That has been found untrue with those who received the newly shipped guide rods.

The DB9 Gen4 is still open to failure as of right now.

SirMykal

• Hatchling
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2019, 08:27:19 PM »
I too have received the warranty replacement guiderod assembly. I am not impressed. Looks to me like the same oem part that came apart in my gun. After using a modified Kahr CM9 guiderod assemby with decent success, I also tried an a guiderod and recoil spring for a Kahr S9/CW9. I cut the guiderod to the correct length and polished the heck out of it. I cut 4 coils off the recoil spring. It was a struggle getting it in the DB9 the first time, but after sitting in the gun for a while, it has been no problem. It cycles and functions perfectly with this setup as well. I’ll post photos if anyone wants to see them.

MJAb3

• Sidewinder
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2019, 09:48:40 PM »
I too have received the warranty replacement guiderod assembly. I am not impressed. Looks to me like the same oem part that came apart in my gun. After using a modified Kahr CM9 guiderod assemby with decent success, I also tried an a guiderod and recoil spring for a Kahr S9/CW9. I cut the guiderod to the correct length and polished the heck out of it. I cut 4 coils off the recoil spring. It was a struggle getting it in the DB9 the first time, but after sitting in the gun for a while, it has been no problem. It cycles and functions perfectly with this setup as well. I’ll post photos if anyone wants to see them.

Definitely!

Thanks for the work you put in

pdxoriginal

• Hatchling
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2019, 12:05:48 AM »
Had some range time, shot fine, had zero misfires.

HOWEVER, I just sold it. Back to carrying my G43 and P365.

Diamondback Firearms