Author Topic: DB9 4 Gen Recoil Guide Rod Head shattered on first outing.  (Read 13874 times)

Jazzccp

• Pygmy Rattler
Re: DB9 4 Gen Recoil Guide Rod Head shattered on first outing.
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2019, 06:52:56 PM »
I received my DB9 gen4 replacement pistol and shot 125 rounds today without any malfunctions whatsoever. After 500+ rounds the original one’s recoil guide rod broke apart, was replaced and broke again after shooting only 2 mags.  Time will tell if this pistol proves to be reliable.

SirMykal

• Hatchling
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2019, 08:20:53 PM »
Can’t seem to remove my own post!

carwash

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2019, 12:02:34 PM »
I used a stock kahr cm9/pm9 recoil assembly. Had to modify the rear spring plate. The plate that is located nearest the chamber. Used a dremel to match the diameter of the stock diamondback recoil spring. Here are more photos if they will help. I have live fire tested this setup.

SirMykal,

How far back can you pull the slide with the Kahr springs/rod? I'm looking for a spring that will allow the second pic.

olt

• Hatchling
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2019, 03:24:56 AM »
Carwash, I think having a spring that allows full slide travel will be a key factor in getting these pistols to work reliably.

SirMykal

• Hatchling
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2019, 07:34:40 PM »
Update: To date, my best recoil spring for the DB9 Gen 4 is a combination of the Kahr Cm9 recoil assembly and the outer spring from the DB9 Gen 3 assembly. The outer spring from the Gen 3 is flattened on both ends where the Kahr outer spring is not. This causes less wear on the front pocket of the slide. I also have no wear scratch on the inner sleeve. The Gen 3 spring is slightly shorter allowing the slide to travel further back. I’m still hoping Diamondback comes out with a better replacement, but for now this is working. Good luck...

mparker66

• Hatchling
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2021, 01:45:02 AM »
20 months since last reply.
Does anyone feel the recoil spring issue has been resolved?
New DB9 Gen4 today YMxxxx series.

boscobarbell

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2021, 02:22:12 PM »
20 months since last reply.
Does anyone feel the recoil spring issue has been resolved?
New DB9 Gen4 today YMxxxx series.

Yes, it has been oddly quiet here of late...which is usually a good sign on the gun forums, as people often come to complain and/or discuss problems. 

I've put about 300 rounds through mine without any issues, so I'm cautiously optimistic that it's a non-issue for mine. 

Jazzccp

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2021, 03:16:26 PM »
I loved my DB9 Gen 4 but after returning it twice for broken recoil rods and then they replaced the frame and then provided me with a brand new replacement Gen 4 which proved to be unreliable for EDC, I sold the gun, purchased a Kahr CM9 which has never had any problems and proven to be reliable for EDC. I never looked back at a DB9. I truly wish the pistol was reliable but unfortunately it was not.

boscobarbell

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2021, 09:15:41 PM »
I loved my DB9 Gen 4 but after returning it twice for broken recoil rods and then they replaced the frame and then provided me with a brand new replacement Gen 4 which proved to be unreliable for EDC, I sold the gun, purchased a Kahr CM9 which has never had any problems and proven to be reliable for EDC. I never looked back at a DB9. I truly wish the pistol was reliable but unfortunately it was not.

That's a shame.  DB has a great design here, at least in concept, but if they can't ensure reliability it will be for naught.  I have owned a few Kahrs and they are both reliable and surprisingly durable.  I opted to try the DB because a couple of ounces of weight savings is a big deal for micro carry, but I do worry that the DB may not be a great option in the long run.

Jazzccp

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2021, 05:37:41 AM »
Recently I purchased a Kimber Micro 9. It has also proven to be of high quality and also very reliable. It’s very light, easy to pocket carry like the DB9 and CM9 and also has a great trigger. It is my new EDC pistol.

boscobarbell

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2021, 12:53:42 PM »
Recently I purchased a Kimber Micro 9. It has also proven to be of high quality and also very reliable. It’s very light, easy to pocket carry like the DB9 and CM9 and also has a great trigger. It is my new EDC pistol.

Beautiful little pistols.  Unfortunately I don't shoot SAO, so that model is just not an option for me. 

Diamondback Firearms