Author Topic: DB9 4 Gen Recoil Guide Rod Head shattered on first outing.  (Read 23596 times)

SirMykal

• Hatchling
Re: DB9 4 Gen Recoil Guide Rod Head shattered on first outing.
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2019, 11:01:08 AM »
Added some photos to my earlier post. DB9 gen 4 with Kahr CM9 recoill assembly installed.

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2019, 05:28:58 PM »
Love a good mod!

carwash

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2019, 07:28:12 PM »
... My DB 9 Gen 4 cycles perfectly...

What do you mean by "cycles"? Hand cycles or live fire cycles?

SirMykal

• Hatchling
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2019, 07:36:43 PM »
I mean live fire with 124 gn Federal HST hollowpoints.

olt

• Hatchling
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2019, 08:52:30 PM »
Was able to modify a Kahr CM9/PM9 recoil assembly to fit my DB9 gen 4. I had to change the diameter of the rear spring plate to match the oem part. Took about 5 minutes with a dremel. It’s a booger getting it in there the first time, but after that no problem. My DB 9 Gen 4 cycles perfectly. I cannot recommend anyone do this, but it worked for me.

Did you use a stock CM9 spring assembly with the stock spring rate?

I have created my door hinge pin guide rod and have trimmed the stock Diamondback spring to give full slide travel. However I have not tested it yet.

SirMykal

• Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2019, 09:46:51 PM »
I used a stock kahr cm9/pm9 recoil assembly. Had to modify the rear spring plate. The plate that is located nearest the chamber. Used a dremel to match the diameter of the stock diamondback recoil spring. Here are more photos if they will help. I have live fire tested this setup.

SirMykal

• Hatchling
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2019, 09:51:48 PM »
I’m pretty sure this will void the warranty on the pistol, so I don’t recommend anyone do it. Just saying it worked for me.

MJAb3

• Sidewinder
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2019, 10:28:16 PM »
I’m pretty sure this will void the warranty on the pistol, so I don’t recommend anyone do it. Just saying it worked for me.

Thanks for risking your weapon by being the Guinea Pig...

I definitely want to hear how this upgrade carries forward.

ohiodff

• Hatchling
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2019, 11:45:30 PM »
I called their number in the manual and this is a well known issue.  Took about 4 seconds to recognize my issue and get me started on a replacement order.  They don't have any in stock, they do have new recoil rods coming in but unfortunately they are closed next week so the soonest mine will ship out on is Monday 7/8 which is a big ol' bummer. 

SirMykal

• Hatchling
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2019, 01:02:12 PM »
Well, after 400 rounds using the Kahr guide rod in my DB9 Gen 4, it has started to develop a wear scratch in the middle of the inner sleave. See photo. Don’t know if it’s the end of the uncaptured spring or sharp edges in the barrel opening. I’m going to file and polish those areas and see what happens.

MJAb3

• Sidewinder
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2019, 01:43:51 PM »
Wow...that's pretty rough for just 400 rnds (to me anyways).

Good luck and thanks for posting on this.

SirMykal

• Hatchling
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2019, 01:57:57 PM »
I know. It’s not what I hoped for, but I’m kind of impatient when waiting for gun manufacturers to fix problems. I’ll just have to wait until they come out with a fixed recoil assembly and carry something else until then.

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2019, 05:31:36 PM »
I know. It’s not what I hoped for, but I’m kind of impatient when waiting for gun manufacturers to fix problems. I’ll just have to wait until they come out with a fixed recoil assembly and carry something else until then.

I'm with you, man. This looks like the area where the slide has it's max extension and the marks are being caused by recoil slap on the guide rod from the slide's spring pocket. I may be wrong, and mostly am according to my wife, but I think that's what's happening.  :main_cheesy:  I doubt it would cause anything but cosmetic issues.

boscobarbell

• Sidewinder
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2019, 07:24:17 PM »
I called their number in the manual and this is a well known issue.  Took about 4 seconds to recognize my issue and get me started on a replacement order.  They don't have any in stock, they do have new recoil rods coming in but unfortunately they are closed next week so the soonest mine will ship out on is Monday 7/8 which is a big ol' bummer.

Am I reading this correctly?...DB has already designed/manufactured an improved guide rod?  If so, that is really good news, and at least shows that DB is committed to getting the Gen 4 running right. 

ohiodff

• Hatchling
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2019, 10:45:02 PM »
Am I reading this correctly?...DB has already designed/manufactured an improved guide rod?  If so, that is really good news, and at least shows that DB is committed to getting the Gen 4 running right.
That's what they are telling me. We'll see how it turns out, I'll make sure to keep it this updated.

Diamondback Firearms