Author Topic: gen2/3 trigger reset  (Read 3060 times)

dutyranger

• Hatchling
gen2/3 trigger reset
« on: July 31, 2019, 05:42:37 PM »
Hello, I bought a DB9 (gen 2 or 3, not sure which- 3 knurled pins) last year in hopes of carrying as a backup and for the wife to carry off duty. I knew it was a gamble going in. Well, I seem to have gotten burned. I managed to put 300rds through it last summer. Over the course of those rounds, failure to feeds got continuously worse and the trigger started to fail to reset. Over the winter I pulled it completely apart and polished all the internals. Earlier this summer, I took it out with another 300rds to see if the polish job helped. Now it has 2 to 3 failure to feeds in every magazine and the trigger still doesn't reset right. I stopped after 50 rds cause I was so frustrated. I went ahead and ordered some KelTec springs to try in the magazines.

I've seen some reference here to the Galloway trigger reset springs within the last year. I thought Galloway discontinued those springs several years ago. Does anybody know where I can get some? I really want to put this gun in service, but can't at this point. Any other suggestions for fixing the trigger reset issues?

Thanks

dutyranger

• Hatchling
Re: gen2/3 trigger reset
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 04:42:54 AM »
Ok, so a little over a month and no response for a source for the Galloway trigger springs. Are there any aftermarket, higher rate trigger return springs available from anywhere?

pecospuppy

• Western Diamondback
  • Old Cowboy
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 05:51:20 PM »
I don't know Galloway, but you can contact DB and they can send you a new trigger group.  That's what I did.

dutyranger

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 07:47:10 PM »
I was looking for the increased pressure trigger reset springs from Galloway Precision. They discontinued them a few years ago, but I had been seeing some recent posts on this website that made me think there may be a source for them here. That doesn't seem to have panned out. On the advice of another member, I reached out to Diamondback. I was hesitant to do that because my location makes sending anything out very difficult and I just expected them to tell me to send it back. Due to my remote location, they are sending me lots of replacement parts to try to get it fixed. Hopefully these replacement parts will get it reliable so I can put into service. We'll see.

pecospuppy

• Western Diamondback
  • Old Cowboy
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 10:47:11 PM »
Good plan.  When I talked to them I told them I was decent at turning a wrench and they had no problem sending me the parts.  I like that they trust us to do the work.  :main_smiley:

dutyranger

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 03:22:53 AM »
Just want to give everybody a heads up. First off, the gun should've been right from the git go. I'm not sure how old mine is and can't speak to current models. That said: Diamondback's customer service was great.

I emailed them about my trigger reset issues and multiple failure to feeds in all magazines. Cheri responded to my email. According to her, their gunsmith said to send me all the guts of the gun. She sent new trigger assembly, new mag springs, new mag followers, and new barrel. I put all the parts in last night. The new trigger pull is shorter and lighter. I do not like that. However, IT WORKS! I went to the range tonight and put 200 rounds through the gun. I had one failure to feed. If this performance keeps up for a couple more range session, I think I'll put the gun into service.

The new trigger assembly is beefed up from the old. The transfer bars (correct term?) do not have the holes in them. They look slightly thicker than the old ones too. The new mag springs seem to have a couple extra coils and have a noticeably higher feed pressure (this does cause more effort to work the slide on a full mag). I can't really tell the difference in the old followers and the new except for the new are orange. The new barrel has a much wider/smother feed ramp.

Overall, despite the shorter/lighter trigger pull, the overall performance of the weapon is now much improved. It's improved to the point that I think I'm now going to pick up  a couple more of them. I hope whatever I pick up works out of the box, but I'm confident that Diamondback will work with me to fix any problems if they don't.

pecospuppy

• Western Diamondback
  • Old Cowboy
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 07:24:31 AM »
Sounds like a big improvement.  Run another 200 rounds through it and let us know how it goes.  I've got close to 400 through mine without issues!

dutyranger

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 11:38:23 PM »
So I got another 200 rds through it the other night with zero malfunctions. That's 400 rds down after the rebuild with 1 failure to feed. While I preferred the longer, heavier trigger pull prior to the rebuild: the rebuilt trigger pull is acceptable. I think it's time to put it into service.

pecospuppy

• Western Diamondback
  • Old Cowboy
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 11:42:45 PM »
... I think it's time to put it into service.
Gotta love a happy ending.  :main_thumbs_2up:

Diamondback Firearms