Author Topic: Nose up misfeed cause  (Read 6229 times)

5 iron

• Sidewinder
Nose up misfeed cause
« on: October 19, 2019, 09:08:46 AM »
Finally figured out what is happening to cause a “nose up” misfeed in my db380.  This is the misfeed type characterized by the bullet nose entering the chamber and the cartridge getting stuck at an upward angle.  (Sorry, I don’t have a picture).
What is happening when this occurs in my 380 is that the slide is not pushing on the round from behind the rim of the cartridge.  Instead, the slide grabs the cartridge inside of the rim itself.  Therefore, there is no way for the cartridge to return to a horizontal position as the slide moves forward. It seems that the way the situation happens is that the slide does not travel to the full rearward position during recoil.  I can duplicate this when hand cycling the slide and not pulling it fully rearward.
I guess it happens during firing by not having a completely firm grip or using ammo that is too weak to push the slide fully rearward. 
Other solutions would include a weaker recoil spring.  It would probably need to be the smaller spring that would need to be weaker since the large spring reaches full compression before the smaller spring during the slide cycle.  But, there are no spring aftermarket options available.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this info for those who might be trying to troubleshoot this type of misfeed.

pecospuppy

• Western Diamondback
  • Old Cowboy
Re: Nose up misfeed cause
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 11:18:40 AM »
... It seems that the way the situation happens is that the slide does not travel to the full rearward position during recoil.

I'd like to put my high speed camera on it and see if we could find a difference between a good cycle and a bad one.  How close to North Carolina are you?  :main_unsure:

DB

• Red Diamond
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 11:24:37 AM »
That spring goes inside the larger spring.

DB

• Red Diamond
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 12:34:32 PM »
yes sir, the small sping will sit inside the two rubber O rings.

DB

• Red Diamond
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 12:39:40 PM »
20191021_123653.jpgNose up misfeed cause
* 20191021_123653.jpg (2772.9 kB . 4032x2268 - viewed 934 times)

DB

• Red Diamond
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 02:30:44 PM »
the spring most likely fell out when you took it apart, its normal. When putting it back together just make sure its in its right place. We use a drop of thick oil to hold it in place when putting it back together.

DB

• Red Diamond
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 07:39:15 PM »
 From what I can see, the wear looks normal. The BCG has a black nitride finish aka melonite. It's normal for that riding area on the BCG to basically polish itself when cycling back and forth. Even though the black is gone, you still have the hardness from the black nitride treatment. You have 4 riding areas on the Carrier and you will probably see a little wear on all 4. I hope this helps and you enjoy your 308. Let me know if everything works out for you.

DB

• Red Diamond
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 07:42:42 PM »
To tell if it's the right one, look for the rounded ejector. We have both, rounded and flat.

DB

• Red Diamond
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2019, 05:42:26 PM »
Keep the extractor out and keep it as a spare part. I'll let diamondback CS know that it will be missing. Test the gun out before you send anything back.

Diamondback Firearms