Author Topic: DB10 .308 Accuracy Issue  (Read 818 times)

texasdeer20

• Hatchling
DB10 .308 Accuracy Issue
« on: December 02, 2019, 09:54:21 AM »
I was curious what everyone elses input is with their DB10 accuracy?  I have had this rifle for some time now, and have been having issues getting it dialed at 100 yards.  When shooting the rifle @ 50 and i have zero issue getting the gun to shoot at 1MOA groups of less, however, when moving it back to 100 the accuracy goes out the window.  I've had three different people shoot it all coming up with the same issue.  I have the DB10CKMFDE with the 16in barrel in a 1:10 twist.  Paired up with a vortex viper 4x16x44.  I have tried numerous different rounds ranging from 150gr-180gr with the best success being 165gr Nosler BT, however at 100yds the grouping is still all over the place with 6-8in groups, but 1MOA at 50.

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
Re: DB10 .308 Accuracy Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 04:30:21 PM »
I have the 13.5" DB10 308 pistol. Love it. the guys at the range next to me...hate it... lol. 16" barrels should be a tad quieter. But that's not your point, right. Mine does like yours at 50 yrds. Tight groups. I haven't tried it at 100 yds yet (still new to me and only sighted in a scope a couple times at 50 yds). Now you have me curious to see how it reacts at longer distances, but if you're shooting MOA at 50, that should equate to 2" at 100. With my crappy eyes I could live with that. So, anyway, tnx, I now have an excuse to go back to the range for further testing. Yes!

pecospuppy

• Western Diamondback
  • Old Cowboy
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 09:12:02 PM »
Go out to 200 or more and see if they start to tumble or not.  That will give you a clue if it is harmonics or barrel flaws or sight issues.  Also try different brands of ammo.  Some brands just don't run in some guns.

texasdeer20

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 12:50:41 PM »
Are there any ammos, you would suggest for the 16in barrel for those who have it?  I would like to be able to hunt with this gun as well, so a hunting load would be great!  I know accuracy decreases with them, but theres got to be something that will work.  Would just like ideas, before i go and spend a couple hundred dollars on ammo to find one it likes.

pecospuppy

• Western Diamondback
  • Old Cowboy
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 07:00:58 PM »
Sorry, I have the DB15.  Just get an assortment of brands in the 165gr since you already know it likes that weight.  Try the usual respected brands and maybe some matched stuff.  If you are into it you could work up a hand load that would probably get you are very tight group.  I'm just getting started reloading so I'm not going to be much help.

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 05:51:32 PM »
Went to the range today and mounted a 6-24x scope on the DB10 13.5" pistol. I was a bit disappointed in the results, which I'll attach a pic. I used different brands to include Hornady 308 Win 168 gr ELD $$ Match, PMC 147 gr FMJ, Remington Core-Lokt 150 gr.

I shot my son's 6.5 Bolt Creedmoor with all hits touching at 100 yds. Freaky accurate. Love it. I guess I'm expecting too much from a 308 pistol? It's still fun to shoot, though. I blew almost $100 in ammo and went home without a bruised shoulder. Yay! We're going to a 1,000 yd range next weekend. Not sure why, but we're still going. The most accurate rifle I have is the Ruger AR 5.56, a true tac-driver (for me). Problem is that at long distances I'd have to aim for the moon to get in the general vicinity. The guy that owns the land uses a 300 win mag as his hunting rifle and loves 1000 yrd shots. I have no counter argument. He wins!

pecospuppy

• Western Diamondback
  • Old Cowboy
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 06:43:15 PM »
1000yds is a lot to ask from a 13.5 inch barrel.  Still would be fun to lob a few in there and see if you can hit anything.

I'm getting antsy to build a 270 long range rifle.  Your son's results with the Creedmoor are tempting, but I like the ballistics of the 270 round.

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 10:46:05 AM »
Now that we have nearby access to 1800 acres I may want to look into long range shooting as well. I was thinking of duplicating my son's setup, but I'll also research the 270.

pecospuppy

• Western Diamondback
  • Old Cowboy
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 09:34:24 PM »
Now that we have nearby access to 1800 acres I may want to look into long range shooting as well. I was thinking of duplicating my son's setup, but I'll also research the 270.

I'm still learning and deciding as well, but if you look at the numbers, the 30-06 starts out with more energy than the 270 until about 200 - 300 yards.  Then the 270 passes it with more energy at impact than the 30-06 because it keeps its velocity far longer (at the same bullet weight).  So if you plan on 500yds or more, the 270 delivers more energy than a 30-06!  It's got less recoil, and about the same cost.  One of the most famous hunters ever, Jack O'Conner, was a big proponent of the round.  It's basically a light 30-06 round so it's the same idea as the 556 but in a larger bullet weight.  "Speed Kills".

I've read the negative arguments as well, like that it can't take down an elk at distance, but the numbers say it should be as good or better than its fatter brother.  I think it is true that the heavier bullet at slower speed can "knock down" a large target where the lighter faster one will just travel through it, so their complaint is more about organ damage v having to bleed out.  But the bullet drop and subsonic issues make actually hitting the animal in the right place as important, if not more so, than the actual weight.  Overall, I like the idea of a lighter faster bullet that still has some punch left at the end.  Now the 308 is a pretty impressive round as well, and there are already uppers and lowers made for that round.  I would probably have to go to a hunting rifle to get a 270 so that may put me into the 308.  The problem with the 308 is that it's just a 30-06 with less powder behind it so it suffers at those long distances too.

I'm still deciding but it's fun to learn!

Diamondback Firearms

Diamondback Firearms

Galloway Precision