Author Topic: Again...  (Read 8970 times)

doctorcad

• Hatchling
Again...
« on: May 31, 2014, 10:16:05 PM »
Well, it lasted 21 rounds this time.  Started to shoot left about a foot at 7 yards.  I thought the sights might be loose, but no, sheared off the tab that the recoil spring pushes against on the barrel. Guess Iit will be another 10 weeks of waiting.

I'm done with this piece of shit.  Trading up to a Hi-Point for better quality.

HankG

• Western Diamondback
Re: Again...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 11:11:31 AM »
This is a weak point on the pistol! I was shooting a friend's Glock 42 this past week and took the slide off to compare the internals to the Db .380. Basically same setup with the recoil assembly but the round steel plate is twice as thick as the Db's. They could solve their problem of not having the recoil spring shaft centered by bending a plate with two 90degree ears that would fit on each side of the  barrel lug and center the recoil assembly shaft automatically. Look at newly manufactured Glock 42. A little bigger but not bad considering.

doctorcad

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 12:05:28 PM »
The recoil assembly is fine.  Its the tab on the barrel that is weak, and is not correctly machined.  Too small of a radius in the cut-out leads to a stress concentration and that is 1st year engineering stiff.  How do you miss that?

HankG

• Western Diamondback
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 01:21:55 PM »
Whoa...You're saying part of the lug that the rec. spring rests against, actually sheared off!

doctorcad

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 03:41:47 PM »
Yep, I took some pics...hope I can post them
pic 1 is the barrel and the broken piece
pic 2 is what it should look like, (I put them back together)
pic 3 shows the recoil rod assy sitting exactly like it should but without the broken piece.

HankG

• Western Diamondback
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 04:07:48 PM »
Man! That's a perfect shear line...couldn't have cut that smoother with a water jet. I wonder where they get their barrels made? If that one will shear like that, I'd be  looking at the whole lot. I hope our resident Rep looks at those pictures. It would be cheaper to send you a new barrel with a return setup on the box for the old barrel.

doctorcad

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 05:32:26 PM »
You know thats never going to happen, they will want to see the gun to try to determine the root cause.  Blindly replacing the broken part won't teach them anything.  Unfortunately for me...

doctorcad

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 05:57:36 PM »
DBF is stepping up.

If only customer service made the guns!

HankG

• Western Diamondback
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 06:13:05 PM »
Keep everyone posted on how things go.

doctorcad

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 09:34:08 PM »
Scott sent me a new barrel today.

I really dont know what to do...

HankG

• Western Diamondback
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 08:50:56 AM »
First...I'd give Scott two thumbs up for getting you the barrel! I hope he doesn't have a nervous breakdown trying to make things right for customers. He's got a thread at the beginning of the site. 

Second...get some good grease and put a few drops between the barrel lug and the recoil spring plate then lube the slide, recoil spring, trigger springs and sear spring with some good lubricant and take the pistol to the range and try it out to see how it shoots. Also, you might want to spray into the striker bore and extractor with some silicone spray for a light lube.

Have fun...thanks again to Scott! He gives all of us some hope.

doctorcad

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 07:29:32 PM »
Sold it.

Good shooting gun when it actually shoots.  Maybe Ill try again in 3 years.

HankG

• Western Diamondback
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 08:23:35 PM »
Let us know what you come up with when you buy again. Don't blame you for your decision. The more I look at these pistols, the more I think Db should have put a .380 barrel and magazine in the 9mm frame and slide. Trying to downsize to far has it's drawbacks mechanically.

orhanGAZ66

• Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 02:46:49 PM »
I so wish this gun would be good but it's not! Loved the form factor size and weight. At around round 135 the trigger takeoff to reset. Only two months old. Second trip to the range. Still under manufacturer and gander mountain extended warranty. Returned it to the store who sent to factory repair center. That was seven weeks ago. After checking on it with the store every week, I just asked for my money back yesterday and they refunded it last night. The people at gander mountain were great, DB made them look bad. I told the manger I'd be all over their rep about this.

makarovnik

• Sidewinder
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 05:48:40 AM »
I agree these pistols are crap and probably worse than some of the Saturday Night Specials like Jimenez Arms. Why aren't I seeing a lot of negative posst on other gun forums like thehighroad.org or packing.org?

Diamondback Firearms