Author Topic: DB380 Generations  (Read 4010 times)

Balzaroth

• Hatchling
DB380 Generations
« on: February 14, 2020, 12:21:47 PM »
I have been a little confused about the generations of the DB380s.
Up until today I have only ever read about 2 generations.  A GEN 1 with the shorter extractor and 2 pins above the trigger and a GEN 2 with the longer extractor and 3 pins.
This post http://www.diamondbackforum.com/index.php?topic=4826.msg13161#msg13161 by gene814 shows there is a definite step between the first version and the latest version of the DB380 and speaks of at least 3 generations.

So please correct me if this is incorrect.

DB380 Generations
Gen 1: 2 trigger pins and short extractor.
Gen 2: 3 trigger pins and short extractor.
Gen 3: 3 trigger pins and long extractor.

Also it seems that the different grip texture designs on the frame and slide serration design are just ascetically different and make no difference when determining the generation of the DB380. Is this also correct?
 :main_wacko:

mr380acp

• Western Diamondback
  • NRA Life Member
Re: DB380 Generations
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 06:02:45 PM »
I believe you are correct on all points. I think the short extractor model with the upgraded trigger is the least common?

bmh95

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 10:43:42 AM »
So this all makes sense, and I have a question to further complicate matters:

I have two what appear to be gen 3 DB380s.  Identical except for color, and the TRIGGER.  One does not engage the striker until late in the overall trigger pull where it hits a break wall and then fires, and the other engages immediately and is heavy all the way back to break, with no wall.  Upon disassembly, the trigger control group on the slide is different.  You can see the two tabs are different on one vs the other.  Is this known?  I don't like that they're different.  I'd like the two to be replicas, so they feel identical.

mr380acp

• Western Diamondback
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 11:03:58 AM »
It sounds like you have an upgrade on a Gen 1 on one of them. Is the grip frame the snakeskin texture or more like the Glock copy?

bmh95

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 11:18:05 AM »
I miss spoke slightly on my description. The different trigger mechanism is in the grip frame. They are definitely GEN three, both slide and frame with the deeper blocky serrations in the slide and the newest texturing on the grip.

Terminatorret

• Sidewinder
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 11:36:45 AM »
I have been wrong about my 2-pin ZExxxx. I had always considered the ZAxxxx ZBxxxx and maybe ZCxxxx the "first" generations and the ZDxxxx the beginning of the "second" generation due to modifications at the factory.
Some of the early models (I had a ZAxxxx) did have substantial FTF / FTE problems that were remedied in later models.
Years ago I sent my ZAxxxx back to DB and they replaced it with my current ZExxxx. I'm very pleased with it. It runs like a well-oiled sewing machine!
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
Davy Crockett
Hero of the Alamo

Diamondback Firearms