Author Topic: DB9 Gen 4 Range Report  (Read 1040 times)

boscobarbell

• Pygmy Rattler
DB9 Gen 4 Range Report
« on: September 23, 2020, 11:03:45 PM »
So, I finally got my new DB9 out to the range.  Since purchasing it, I managed to score a couple of extra magazines (with the extended baseplate) for a really good price on gunbroker.com.  So I made a point of using all my magazines to ensure reliability with whatever I may carry.

I caught a temperate and sunny day in southern New England, which will become more and more rare over the next few weeks.  Perfect timing. 

I should point out that I'm not a bull's eye shooter.  My goal is to put rounds into center mass with speed and accuracy at 7 or so yards.  So I won't be able to tell you how big my groups were, or how this pistol performs from a bench at 50 yards. 

Anyway, I set up about 10 yards from a pie pan-shaped steel target, and loaded 3 mags with Ranger FMJ range ammo. 

The result:  Flawless cycling, and I was immediately impressed by this trigger...it was not dissimilar to my P365, which is one of my favorite striker triggers.  The sights are great, too (I may not get night sights after all).  But I was also surprised by how relatively mild this pistol is.  I heard all the reports about the recoil, but I'm guessing those folks never shot a J-frame in .357!!!  I may not reach for this pistol for 1000-round training day, but it is more than capable for shorter sessions.  And muzzle flip didn't remind me of a .22 target pistol, but it was manageable enough for rapid follow-up shots. 

Next up was a grab bag of ammo left over from other range days....a mix of SD and range rounds, as well as the Ruger ARX round, which is finicky in some other pistols.  Again, 100%.

The last ammo I wanted to try was Speer Gold Dot +P, which is my stockpiled go-to ammo for all my 9mm rounds.  The DB9 ate them like they were candy.

Lastly, I rotated through all my ammo choices in a fairly random sequence, even mixing ammos within the same magazine.  But I couldn't get my DB to malfunction. (I had a single failure, which was user error...I failed to properly seat a magazine, and it dropped out while firing, causing a FTF).  I was even able to repetitively load and shoot 6 plus 1, which I have learned was a problem with some Gen 4s. 

I finished after about 120 rounds, and couldn't be more pleased.  This pistol is worlds better than I expected, and I'll be carrying it over the next few days to see if it will replace the .380 pistols that I reluctantly carried because of their sheer convenience. 

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
Re: DB9 Gen 4 Range Report
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 01:38:47 PM »
Great report. Tnx for sharing!

Pdawg1911

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 04:03:20 PM »
Should be an easy decision between defending your life with a +P Speer 9mm versus a .380 round !

I found the same result on ammo. The DB9 Gen 4 has eaten everything whole with no issues.

boscobarbell

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 10:31:09 PM »
Quick update:  I noticed while cleaning my gun that the rear sight had managed to shake itself loose...it was still pretty firmly attached, but it would wiggle from side to side. 

But I used this as an opportunity to explore other sight options, and remembered that I had a set of XS Big Dots that a bought a couple of years ago for my Glock 42, but then swapped them out because my son didn't really like them.

But the install was a real breeze, and now I've got a great little setup for CQC.

I'm very, very pleased with this purchase.

Diamondback Firearms