Author Topic: DB9+P  (Read 3448 times)

chopprs

• Hatchling
DB9+P
« on: September 29, 2020, 08:25:29 PM »
A thought about using +P...I know everyone wanted this and they got the answer with the Gen4 but has anyone done an actual test against ammo specifically designed for a 3" barrel like the Hornady Critical Defense? I would not be surprised if the Hornady ammo that was designed for guns like this outperforms a standard +P round. If anything second shot placement is far better simply because of the amount of powder burned outside the barrel
 causing muzzle flip. I traded my Gen1 for a Gen4 almost a year ago and I have fired all kinds of ammo through both of them. The Gen1 needed a little love to make it work but once I did it the gun was wonderful for thousands of rounds. I used it to teach NRA classes. The Gen4 got the same out of the box and it has been flawless with any ammo I put in it but I am stuck on the Hornady CD 115 grain. It seems to be the best combination of muzzle velocity, penetration and reliability...

9bd

• Hatchling
Re: DB9+P
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 04:59:24 PM »

Hi I was looking for anyone who had info on the Underwood 90 Gr Defender and found this. Still looking for more info

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/415007307

Reviewed By: Gerald R on 10/17/2019
Rating:     5 of 5 Stars!

I bought the Diamondback AM2 several weeks ago and was so impressed by it I thought I would try the DB9 Gen 4. I looked at several reviews online before ordering it and they all seemed positive for the Gen 4. This purchase took about 7 days to receive, longer than most I have experienced but after a light cleaning and lube I put over 150 rounds through it in one session at the range. It ran Aguila 117 grain JHP, some Sig Sauer 124 grain JHP, some Fiocchi 115 grain FMJ and a handful of Underwood 90 grain +p defenders. The gun performed well with no FTEs or FTFs but the 124 grain JHP and the Underwood was pretty stout with the small and somewhat abrasive grip. I just put on a Hogue grip sleeve and hope it will tame down the bite just a bit and help thicken the grip too. The DB9 is so thin it seems easier to shoot one handed than with two. The only negative I had was the slide didn't lock back on 3 different occasions on an empty magazine. Otherwise, I highly recommend this little pistol; it has good sights, a good trigger and is as light weight as most 380s. One reviewer mentions it kicks like a young mule.....agreed! BUDS is always great!

icebergwtq

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 10:56:13 PM »
This guy did the exact test of 9mm ammo for a three inch barrel.

mr380acp

• Western Diamondback
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 08:27:36 AM »
I cracked the slide on my DB 380 with plus p ammo. I know you are talking about the 9 but I figured I would mention it anyway

boscobarbell

• Sidewinder
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 05:20:25 PM »
I don't think you can go wrong with the HST.  I've also found that they tend to feed well, even in picky guns. 

jayz64

• Red Diamond
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2021, 06:59:18 PM »
I cracked the slide on my DB 380 with plus p ammo. I know you are talking about the 9 but I figured I would mention it anyway

Yeah, thanks.  These are great little pocket guns but there's probably a limit on the beating they can take with over powered ammo.

mparker66

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 12:49:19 AM »
A thought about using +P...I know everyone wanted this and they got the answer with the Gen4 but has anyone done an actual test against ammo specifically designed for a 3" barrel like the Hornady Critical Defense? I would not be surprised if the Hornady ammo that was designed for guns like this outperforms a standard +P round. If anything second shot placement is far better simply because of the amount of powder burned outside the barrel
 causing muzzle flip. I traded my Gen1 for a Gen4 almost a year ago and I have fired all kinds of ammo through both of them. The Gen1 needed a little love to make it work but once I did it the gun was wonderful for thousands of rounds. I used it to teach NRA classes. The Gen4 got the same out of the box and it has been flawless with any ammo I put in it but I am stuck on the Hornady CD 115 grain. It seems to be the best combination of muzzle velocity, penetration and reliability...

You indicated that the gen 1 you had needed some love to make it work and that right out of the box you did the same to your DB9 Gen4. Care to share what you did?

chopprs

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2021, 06:43:26 PM »
Polished the feed ramp and entire outside of barrel, change the spring to Kel-Tek w/2 loops cut off. Deburr all contact surfaces above trigger-didn't want to mess with good trigger! It ran a couple hundred rounds and now it jams every second or third shot, all different jams. I don't get it...

Diamondback Firearms