Author Topic: Barrel nut loose  (Read 3400 times)

aimer

• Hatchling
Barrel nut loose
« on: February 13, 2021, 05:49:00 AM »
Recently I bought a DB10BGB .308.

I noticed it was very difficult to achieve a decent grouping at 100m and, at the same time, I noticed the barrel nut was loose.

I brought it back to the gunsmith who sold it to me, he gave me back the rifle with the nut tightened but, after about 60 rounds, the grouping was again inconsistent. I checked the barrel nut and it was again loose.

Could someone share the procedure to properly tighten the barrel nut together with the torque specifications?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
Re: Barrel nut loose
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 11:55:09 AM »
Sounds like there's not enough torque on the nut. Different manufacturers have different specs, especially if it's a lightweight handguard/nut combo. For standard steel barrel nuts, there's a range given, such as 35 to 60 ft.lbs. I always use the upper range. At 60 ft.lbs it should never come loose. Almost sounds as if the "smith" didn't use a torque wrench nor have the correct barrel nut wrench in order to do so. Some barrel nuts have very specific barrel nut wrench designs.

aimer

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 04:35:45 AM »
I was thinking the same.

Does anybody know which is the right nut wrench to use for the DB10BGB? I found nothing about it on the Diamondback web site.

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 04:29:55 PM »
I was thinking the same.

Does anybody know which is the right nut wrench to use for the DB10BGB? I found nothing about it on the Diamondback web site.

My AR10 has flats for a standard crow's foot wrench. The size of the wrench is 1-5/16". I'm not sure if this is the only type DB uses. The nut itself is smooth for a pressure fit of the handguard. My handguard has 3 bolts to clamp it onto the nut. 

Diamondback Firearms