Author Topic: New DB9 owner range report. May need help with sighting.  (Read 294 times)

sclancy79

• Hatchling
New DB9 owner range report. May need help with sighting.
« on: November 07, 2021, 01:50:26 PM »
I've been searching for a pocket pistol specifically in 9mm for a while now. The DB9 was the only one that fit my hand great, great sights and great trigger. Bought it this week and went to the range today. Cleaned and lubed with CLP before shooting for the first time.

Only put 50 rounds of Blazer Brass 115 grain through it. All rounds cycled perfectly. Was surprised with the recoil. The gun is definitely snappy, but I found it not difficult to control at all. I was wondering what all the fuss was about. After about 25 rounds, my hand began to hurt, then I realized what everyone was talking about lol. Really enjoyed shooting this tiny gun.

Started at 10 yards and was hitting really low. Then went 5 yards and was still low, but not as bad. I'm a pretty decent pistol shot. Sights are secured well, not loose. Not sure if I'm the problem or it's the sights

Overall impressed with the gun, but need to put more rounds down range before I carry it. Gun gets dirty REALLY quick, but that's expected in a gun this small. Will clean after every trip to the range unlike my other pistols.

Any advice regarding how to aim this little guy is welcome.

jayz64

• Red Diamond
Re: New DB9 owner range report. May need help with sighting.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 10:35:25 PM »
Good report.  Might be I'll have to get one now.

boscobarbell

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2021, 11:12:04 PM »
I wish I could help you with the sighting issue.  Mine was fine right out of the box.  I quickly traded in the stock sights for some XS Big Dots, and it is dead on with those, as well.

And I agree with your other observations about the gun.  I don't mind the recoil, either, and actually find it enjoyable to shoot.

NewDBguy

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2021, 07:56:14 PM »
I had issues with my DB9 firing low and left. I sent it back to DBF to fix the issue. That was back in August. I'm going to the range tomorrow to check on them. Hopefully, the problem has been fixed.

NutSnax

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 10:36:56 PM »
Mine shoots low and left. You need to use a 12 o'clock hold to fire it and hope to hit anything with factory sights or even aftermarket glock sights.

If you want it to shoot like a normal gun, meaning accurately, you're going to need a high profile rear sight and a low profile front sight.

I shaved my front sight down a bit - and this did help a little - but it really needs a front sight that is like RIGHT on the barrel. I'm talking to truglo about this and will post back when I hear back (maybe tomorrow).

NewDBguy

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 08:01:12 AM »
Nutsnax, what do you mean by 12 o'clock hold? I've never heard of that. Let me know how everything goes. I like the pistol for pocket carry but not if I can't hit where I'm shooting.

NutSnax

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2021, 08:27:23 PM »
Look up 12 o'clock hold online - basically take the most non-intuitive way of aiming and that's how you have to do it.

NewDBguy

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2021, 09:01:29 PM »
Wow, this makes sense! I wonder if that is what the gunsmith did at DBF. I was taught either 6 o'clock or center. I went to the range and it still seems to be slightly low. I'm going back this weekend and try this out. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again, and I look forward to reading about your conversation with Truglo. I want to add some night sights as well. Happy Thanksgiving!

pecospuppy

• Western Diamondback
  • Old Cowboy
« Reply #8 on: Today at 04:47:30 PM »
I don't think anyone plans on their sights requiring a 12 o'clock hold.  But there are two ways to sight a gun and if you use the wrong one it would look like a 12 o'clock hold.  One is to get the sights aligned and hold at the bottom of the target (6 o'clock hold).  Sig uses a 6 o'clock hold, meaning the object is higher than the aligned sights like a sunset.  The other is to get the sights aligned and hold on the center, meaning the object is cut in half by the aligned sights. Most makers use this hold.  If your gun was set up for center hold an you are using 6 o'clock, you would think you would need a 12 o'clock hold and get it back to center.

Diamondback Firearms