Author Topic: Pin that Holds Sear Cage is Cracking DB9 Lower  (Read 16803 times)

dugstruble

• Pygmy Rattler
Re: Pin that Holds Sear Cage is Cracking DB9 Lower
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 12:21:38 AM »
Don't think it's a matter of a soft grip. I think it's more of a matter of the the newer beefier sear cage holding up and the stress being transferred to the lower.

Snake Handler

• Sidewinder
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2014, 01:06:47 AM »
True, the heavier sear block has greater mass and therefore greater momentum during the firing cycle.

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 11:11:46 PM »
I shot 50 more rounds thru mine to see if the plastic would pull up more, but there was no change. I may call DB to see if they're experiencing issues with this and whether it should be sent in before it gets any worse.

dugstruble

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2014, 11:24:47 PM »
Well it took like 400 rounds for me. Yes I shoot it a lot. lol They actually called me because it is getting a new lower and has to be transferred to my local FFL. They gave me a reason why it was doing it, but for the life of me I can't remember. It wasn't what I thought, though. I thought it was the energy being transferred form the new beefier sear cage into the lower and pin. They said it was something else.

I have been with the mentality of really shooting the hell out of it to see what I can break next so I can send it in and have them continue to upgrade the DB9. But maybe it just is what it is; a small 9mm that shouldn't be shoot a lot. Only carry for extreme situations where I am wearing draw string shorts on a hot summer day.

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2014, 12:11:39 AM »
If you can find out what they say cause is, let us know. Yep, tiny gun pretty much equals short lifespan as a range gun, so shooting it just enough to ensure it's working with your carry ammo is the way to go. That's pretty much what Rohrbaugh says about their $1200 tiny R9...No +P, nothing above 124gr (or was that the Solo), change the recoil spring every 200 rounds, shoot it a little, carry it a lot.

dugstruble

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2014, 12:45:28 AM »
Will do. Yeah I heard that about Rohrbaugh. Funny thing is that I can shoot my PM9 and P938 extensively with no issues. But they are a bit heavier.

Kickstart

• Hatchling
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2014, 07:03:55 PM »
Only carry for extreme situations where I am wearing draw string shorts on a hot summer day.

I would not depend on a DB9 for any situation especially a extreme one.  :main_angry:

dugstruble

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2014, 08:04:00 PM »
So would you recommend a 380 then? I am a big guy and when it's almost a 100 degrees outside, I am dressing as light as possible. I'd go naked and carry between my ass cheeks if I could. lol

Beach

• Sidewinder
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2014, 09:00:10 AM »
I have a Kel-tec P3AT for those times when I want to look like I am not carrying or I am under dressed for it. And I have replaced the DB with a Glock 42 for EDC. A .380 that shoots every time beats a 9mm that jams most of the time.

dugstruble

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2014, 11:14:00 AM »
It usually doesn't break until I have a few hundred rounds in it. So last time I got it back, I ran about 50 rounds in it and just leaving it be for now. I was taught that really for self defense, a 9mm is minimum. I don't know. lol

HankG

• Western Diamondback
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2014, 12:27:59 PM »
If you shoot a person in the head with a .380 hollow point weighing 90 grains, traveling at 800 ft/sec, he is going to drop like a rock. Given most shootouts take place between 5 and 20 ft, this shouldn't be hard to do but most people don't want to think about it. The carnage effect is just to much. Most people think about a small drop of blood in the chest area. People who give these concealed carry classes want everyone to carry a model 1911A1 .45.....hard to do for most folks.

Beach

• Sidewinder
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2014, 01:03:15 PM »
I have a bunch of Santa Barbara, 90 gr. truncated cone. This stuff averages about 1000 fps out of a P3AT. Its my .380 carry ammo.

dugstruble

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2014, 02:07:28 PM »

Yeah I know people that always push the 45. I have a friend in TX that won't carry anything if he can't carry his 45. lol

Well I had an ejector break on me with an LCP before after only a couple hundred rounds through it. "America's Favorite 380" they say. lol That was about half as many rounds as my Diamondback DB9 had in it before it broke. These pocket pistols weren't made to be shot a lot from what I have been told.

Beach

• Sidewinder
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2014, 03:17:59 PM »
Did the broken ejector cause a problem? I have seen them cycle just fine with no ejector installed.

I put over 1000 rounds of that hot Santa Barbara ammo through my P3AT, no breakages or stoppages as long as the gun was clean and lubed properly. This was after I fixed the initial problems it had out of the box. Pins walking, extractor screw backing out... Loc-tite fixed that stuff. This gun was used as a serious test mule. I replaced all of the springs and I still use it often as a carry gun, seldom do I fire it anymore.

dugstruble

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2014, 04:33:11 PM »
It did cause it to stop working.

Diamondback Firearms