Author Topic: Feeding issues  (Read 18594 times)

Don_Don

• Hatchling
Feeding issues
« on: December 15, 2014, 03:57:53 PM »
Brand new gun bought on Friday. went to the range fired one shot and got a failure to feed. Removed mag cleared jam and retried. Same issue. Couldnt get past 3 tries before having to put it away. sucks...

Mag and follower was lubed. Looked like the gun was fired several times in the factory as there was a little finish already rubbed off from the barrel.

Not sure what the issue is but i did notice the extractor is extremely tight on the casing. Its hard for the round to slide into position as the slide moves forward. The slide does not fully go forward like the round is preventing the barrel to go into position.

Any suggestions? I dont want to send it in and wait a few months unless i have to.

Don_Don

• Hatchling
Re: Feeding issues
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 01:54:15 AM »
Found the problem. Case hits wall opposite of extractor just enough to block the barrel to go into battery.

Should i file a little away or send back?

Steve912

• Red Diamond
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 08:29:10 AM »
I can't really tell from your pics, what's going on. Not the recommendation you probably want to hear, but from you description, I'd probably say 'send it back'.

Some general roughness across breech face, a burr or sharp corner on extractor, can be resolved reasonably safely & easily.  If you're looking at improper dimension of the actual breech face itself, I'd be inclined to let the factory handle it.

If you're a master machinist by trade, I'd still be inclined to return it.  There might be another issue that hasn't revealed itself yet, and you wouldn't want the factory to look at the breech and say the warranty coverage was voided by 'unauthorized repair work', etc.

Edit: another possibility might be a misdimension on the extractor itself.
FTF...Failure to Fire, or Failure to Feed? FTE...Failure to Extract, or Failure to Eject?

Egalloway

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 11:18:15 AM »
What ammo are you using? Did you try it in another pistol? Did you let anyone else try and shoot it? Jams like that usually indicate grip or mag issues, barring ammo related issues.
-Eric @GP

Don_Don

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 11:42:15 AM »
I contacted DB and they said to try different ammo before sending it in.  I usually use the walmart federal but I guess i'll continue to search for that "special ammo"

I'll even try a different extractor.  You think they sell individual parts?

Don_Don

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 03:47:29 PM »
No go on selling parts.  I wonder why.

Anyway i tried various ammo and found only Winchester WB with head stamped "WIN" would feed 98% of the time. 

HankG

• Western Diamondback
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 06:36:11 PM »
Hey Don...There aren't any machining marks on the bolt face are there? That face should be as smooth as a baby's behind.

Also...is the feed ramp nice and straight and smooth or is the groove in the ramp canted toward the chamber's side?

Is there some kind of gunk in the chamber on one wall? Can you remove the barrel and slide a round into the chamber in a nice straight line?

Is there any steel in the front of the trigger block that is rubbing on the base of the cartridge as it enters the chamber? Pull the slide and put the magazine in the grip and slide a few rounds off with your thumb. See if there is anything that can be canting the round from the bottom.

Check to see if the ejector isn't bent and pushing the round from the top.

Is the magazine sitting in the grip straight so that the rounds are presented to the barrel in a straight line. Mag lips may be bent on one side.

Don_Don

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 12:15:31 PM »
Round is actually hitting the ejector and the ejector looks bent to the right. Not sure its suppossed to do that.  Everything else looks ok.

HankG

• Western Diamondback
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 01:21:43 PM »
Looks as though you have a bent ejector. i don't own a full size Db 9mm though, so I would wait for some more owner's input to come in from cyber space. Chris...you out there floating around anywhere?

Don_Don

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 01:32:29 PM »
It makes sense though because i have failure to eject sometimes. Its probably pushing the case more towards the center and the extractor slides off the case

El Cupacabra

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 01:47:02 PM »
I have no F2F so I think this is how it should be.

HankG

• Western Diamondback
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 01:53:54 PM »
It looks as though your ejector is also pushing the cartridge case toward the extractor side of the side. Is it touching the case?

El Cupacabra

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 02:33:45 PM »
it is touching the bullet case. the bullet lowers just a little bit. I believe I can see a difference in the photos . I might be wrong but I can guesstimate a 10 degree bent on my guns ejector and I believe I see a 15 degree bent on the other gun photo. It might be just perspective on the shot but I don't think so.

Steve912

• Red Diamond
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 03:13:51 PM »
Those ejectors look about right to me.

When the slide is mounted, it will bear downwards on the center line of the top round, in the mag (and that round won't contact the ejector). With the slide removed, the round rides a bit higher in the mag.

Look at the left side of the case, in relation to the tip of the ejector.

If the ejector was 'unbent', the case head would 'miss' the ejector, on the slide's rearward travel.

El Cupacabra

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 04:52:20 PM »
I just slowly cycle a round on my FS and the bullet case is still touching the ejector and it slides in still touching the ejector and no problem feeding...

Diamondback Firearms