Author Topic: Gen 4 Failure to Feed  (Read 29854 times)

carwash

• Pygmy Rattler
Gen 4 Failure to Feed
« on: March 27, 2019, 08:00:42 PM »
I shot my Gen 4 DB9 9 last week and had lackluster results.
I cleaned & lubed the gun prior.
I used 4 different gen 4 mags.
I shot 109 rounds in the following order
   30 American Eagle 115g rn
   15 Blaser Brass 124 g rn
   35 PPU 124 g rn
   20 Freedom Munitions 115 g rn
   9 Golden Saber 124 g +P hp
I disassembled & wiped the gun out a bit at 80 rounds.

The Good
*I had NO failures to eject or extract.
*The pistol was surprisingly comfortable to shoot.

The Bad
*I had 4 failures to feed
*I had 3 failures to feed resulting in stove pipe of the live round.
*The rear sight came loose at 109 rounds.
*The magazines were very hard to load to capacity.

I am a fairly experienced shooter and have shot many mouse guns.
I have never been a "limp wrister" but considering the malfunctions that does seem like the cause. I had no one else with me to try it. Maybe it needs more break-in.

I emailed Diamondback last Thursday and received a reply saying my email was forwarded to their gunsmith, I'm waiting to see what they say.

I'm hoping I can get this gun to work, it's the perfect size for pocket carry. We'll see.

trooperc7

• Sidewinder
Re: Gen 4 Failure to Feed
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 09:32:16 AM »
Good luck!

pecospuppy

• Western Diamondback
  • Old Cowboy
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 01:01:22 PM »
I'm gonna guess it's the magazine spring.  I took mine apart to clean it and when I put it back together it looked fine but I had the stove pipes and FTF's.  I took it apart and re seated the spring in the follower and it started working just fine again.  Maybe your spring isn't riding in the follower.

Bandit

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 09:33:55 PM »
I just upgraded my gen 3 db9 to a gen 4 db9 and shot its first 100 rounds today and had several failures to feed also. So I am interested in seeing what the fix is.

pecospuppy

• Western Diamondback
  • Old Cowboy
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 09:38:04 PM »
I just upgraded my gen 3 db9 to a gen 4 db9 and shot its first 100 rounds today and had several failures to feed also. So I am interested in seeing what the fix is.

What ammo were you using?  In small guns it can make a big difference.

Hoss

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 12:18:25 AM »
Damn, I hate to hear this. My Gen 1 was the same way. I was going to toss it until my dad said to let him mess with it. Three weeks later I was over at his place for dinner and he gave it back to me. He said it was fixed now and would run anything I fed it. It damn sure did. I fed it everything from Brown Bear, Georgia Arms, WWB, Remington Golden Saber, 115/124/148. It didn't skip a beat for the next 3 years and was shot regularly. He basically painted heavy graphite over all moving parts and worked them by hand. He said he probably racked the slide 3000 times, pulled the trigger twice that and had the slide literally seize on him. Then he flushed everything out with carb/choke cleaner and oiled everything with #9 and shot 300 rounds of Tula steel case garbage through it. He said it never failed in any way. Ive put over 1100 rounds through it since with no issues. It's my son's gun now and I have a Gen 3. The Gen 3 has never failed me right out of the box.

I'm not saying to go shoot the piss out of yours and load it with graphite but... It couldn't hurt.

carwash

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 06:45:08 PM »
I'm still waiting to hear back from Diamondback.

carwash

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 08:22:51 PM »
I resent my email along with the warranty registration Friday night.
Today I received a reply and a UPS label to return the pistol for service.
I'm pleased and disappointed at the same time.
Maybe I just have back luck but I have had to send back enough guns that this is a familiar situation.
I'll update when I get the pistol back.

carwash

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 08:25:51 PM »
Damn, I hate to hear this. My Gen 1 was the same way. I was going to toss it until my dad said to let him mess with it. Three weeks later I was over at his place for dinner and he gave it back to me. He said it was fixed now and would run anything I fed it. It damn sure did. I fed it everything from Brown Bear, Georgia Arms, WWB, Remington Golden Saber, 115/124/148. It didn't skip a beat for the next 3 years and was shot regularly. He basically painted heavy graphite over all moving parts and worked them by hand. He said he probably racked the slide 3000 times, pulled the trigger twice that and had the slide literally seize on him. Then he flushed everything out with carb/choke cleaner and oiled everything with #9 and shot 300 rounds of Tula steel case garbage through it. He said it never failed in any way. Ive put over 1100 rounds through it since with no issues. It's my son's gun now and I have a Gen 3. The Gen 3 has never failed me right out of the box.

I'm not saying to go shoot the piss out of yours and load it with graphite but... It couldn't hurt.

Hoss,
What's the "heavy graphite" your Dad used? Was is a lube or like a polishing compound?

Hoss

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 09:41:01 PM »
Hoss,
What's the "heavy graphite" your Dad used? Was is a lube or like a polishing compound?
It was this. Pretty much coated every moving part with it and went to town.

mondain

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 09:22:09 AM »
I got my new gen 4 a couple of days ago and decided to shoot a few when picking it up.  I had a similar experience firing, shooting 115gr S&B FMJ.  First 20-30 rounds where fine, then exact same issues as OP, I couldn't even get through a second box of ammo. progressively getting worse until 2-3 issues per mag, I decided to call it quits , maybe total got 60 rounds fired probably 20 failures.  Using mixed mags 1 gen4 and 2 gen 3s I felt like failures were equal.

Granted this was a new from factory gun, i had not cleaned or lubed.  I will be tearing it down cleaning/lube and taking it out again, but i fear i may be sending it back to DB.

Update 4/16/19:  Took it out today, after cleaning/lubing.  Shot ~75 rounds of mixed Speer Lawman and S&B 115 gr.  No problems at all, none.  So that is refreshing

Bassdeer

• Pygmy Rattler
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2019, 03:58:17 AM »
Don't like hearing this, was thinking about moving up to the 4th.

catfish

• Sidewinder
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2019, 11:09:39 AM »
Start over guys...And read the manual...Use the recommend ammo brands in the manual.
Break in can take 150-200 rounds....I had trouble with ammo not listed in manual...When i read the
manual i ran strictly what they recommended and it ran fine.
PMC..Herters and Sig V-crown ( All 115 Gr) would not run worth a darn in mine
and sure enough...None of them were recommended in the manual.
I am sure some brands not listed in the manual will work but using what they recommend
is a good place to start may save you some headaches and money by not burning through
ammo that wont work :main_thumbs_2up:

Hoss

• Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2019, 09:56:14 PM »
Start over guys...And read the manual...Use the recommend ammo brands in the manual.
Break in can take 150-200 rounds....I had trouble with ammo not listed in manual...When i read the
manual i ran strictly what they recommended and it ran fine.
PMC..Herters and Sig V-crown ( All 115 Gr) would not run worth a darn in mine
and sure enough...None of them were recommended in the manual.
I am sure some brands not listed in the manual will work but using what they recommend
is a good place to start may save you some headaches and money by not burning through
ammo that wont work :main_thumbs_2up:
I respectfully disagree with your take on the matter. My GEN 3 has been fed a steady diet of the nastiest shit-ammo I can find on sale. It's had mostly 115gr Monarch Steel Case but has occasionally consumed WWB and Remington UMC. I've also shot 20 rounds each of Remington Golden Sabre JHP, Hornady Critical Defense and American Gunner 115gr XTP.   I have yet to have a single failure to feed, failure to extract, failure to eject or failure to go boom through 600+ rounds. I didn't clean it from the time I bought it through the first 400 rounds and it performed flawlessly. I can't hit shit with it but it goes bang everytime. If I'm ever attacked by 8" pie plates at 21' they'll all rue the day ..

catfish

• Sidewinder
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2019, 08:21:56 AM »
I respectfully disagree with your take on the matter. My GEN 3 has been fed a steady diet of the nastiest shit-ammo I can find on sale. It's had mostly 115gr Monarch Steel Case but has occasionally consumed WWB and Remington UMC. I've also shot 20 rounds each of Remington Golden Sabre JHP, Hornady Critical Defense and American Gunner 115gr XTP.   I have yet to have a single failure to feed, failure to extract, failure to eject or failure to go boom through 600+ rounds. I didn't clean it from the time I bought it through the first 400 rounds and it performed flawlessly. I can't hit shit with it but it goes bang everytime. If I'm ever attacked by 8" pie plates at 21' they'll all rue the day ..

First off the thread is about the Gen 4....You can disagree all you want but that don't change my findings.
I like to keep my post related to the original thread title...Last time i checked a Gen 3 and a Gen 4 are not the same....So disagree all you want...But i am am pretty sure you were not with me when i ran mine through it's paces

Diamondback Firearms