Author Topic: Ruger Precision .22LR  (Read 2303 times)

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
Ruger Precision .22LR
« on: April 02, 2021, 07:17:27 PM »
My son and a friend talked me into competing in long range 22 competition. There are a three places within an hour from us that hold events. Most are 100/200/300 yard events. Really? I'm not sure I can even see a target at 300 yrds! Oh well, we'll see how it goes. I decided on a Ruger Precision .22 bolt gun. Inexpensive compared to "professional" setups, but didn't want to pay outrageous money for something I may suck at. LOL. Of course, now I also need a scope, perhaps a Hubbell downlink, and a means of transportation so I don't have to walk 600 yards to change targets. Then again, the 300 yard target may not have any destruction from valid shots, so this could be a wash. Naw, still would need to drive down there to inspect the results.

So, anyway, I'm interested and willing, and you never know, I might be pretty good at it. Calling John Wick now to see what he thinks. I hope he doesn't chuckle and tell me to stick with shuffleboard. That would be evil!

pecospuppy

• Western Diamondback
  • Old Cowboy
Re: Ruger Precision .22LR
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 11:50:37 PM »
That sounds like fun!  I have my father-in-laws old bolt action Remington iron sights 22.  I wonder how well it would shoot to 300?  I'd have to figure out how to get a scope on it.  I can't even see the iron sights with my poor old eyes.

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 08:14:55 PM »
That sounds like fun!  I have my father-in-laws old bolt action Remington iron sights 22.  I wonder how well it would shoot to 300?  I'd have to figure out how to get a scope on it.  I can't even see the iron sights with my poor old eyes.

Whatever it takes to get on target, I say. Hubbell telescope link? Is there an app for that? Lol.

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 07:12:44 PM »
I thought I was doing the right thing in getting a FFP scope. But hated it. Supposedly you need one to shoot PRL NRL 22lr matches. I'm doing it my way and going with a SFP scope and use MOA hold overs and unders to get me on target. Sight the scope at 50 yards and see how she does at lower and further distances. Most matches will have you shooting down to 25 yrds, or even 15, so learning your MOA values will have an impact. That should keep me busy for some time. Then again, I really don't have much else to do, right, LOL. My biggest concern is complying with all the different positions. My bones are creaking already and they want me to do young man stunts? Bastards. LOL 

Chris

• Western Diamondback
  • Raleigh, NC, USA
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 07:19:06 PM »
I think DB should start a geriatric shooting team. Wheelchairs, cushions, oxygen, and a heart zapper. Is that even a thing?  :main_tongue:

Diamondback Firearms